"Rantanplan", the savannah beige 5/1968 Westfalia SO62

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alistair,
the only thing I know, is that this window is not from 68 like the bus. I bought it 10 years ago anywhere I cannot remember. When I am at the barn where the bus waits for the next trip, I make some detail-photos.

Cheers, I'll kep my eyes peeled, and see if i can see what year it's from

Thanks,

Alistair

The last pictures for this year. The Westfalia sleeps in the barn while it is cold and rainy outside...

Here with my 72 Vespa V50 and in front of the barn:
T2a912g.jpg

T2a911g.jpg

The last drive was to former Giebelstadt Air Base. In the 80ies there have been the first 1/4 mile races in Germany with fast VW´s. Now there is only one runway left that is used for public flights, so there is no chance to organise a Giebelstadt Revival Drag Day. :cry:
T2a913g.JPG

SO62 said:
Hi guys, now I found some time to introduce me and mainly my earlybay to you.
Me, my family and our Westy "Rantanplan" (also known as "Rin Tin Can" and "Bushwack" in "Lucky Luke") live in Bavaria.
Rantanplan is a L620 savannah beige 5/1968 Westfalia SO62, which I found 1996 in my hometown Regenburg at a car dealer. The price for the Westy was 2800 DM, that is appr. 1400 EURO or 1200 pound! That were lucky days to buy busses!
But at this time I did not even have that money to buy it. So the bus stood more than a half year at the dealer. I saved every cent (and that is not so easy if you are young and thirsty!) and in december 1996 I bought Rantanplan!
Nobody wanted the have "such an old stinky bus that takes so much petrol", as the cardealer told me.
This is how Rantanplan looked like when i bought it:
T2a101g.jpg

I drove the Westy in this "interesting" colour and with the flower-curtains until spring 2003. "NO, I am NOT a Hippy" was the answer i gave sooooo many times during this years!

I absolutely love this color. It is so nice and reminds me always on summer. Additionally I would love to see a picture of your old flowers curtains. I love flowers and everything that has to do with flowers. Due to this I also often use flower deliveries because I always need fresh flowers when I am at home and I love to decorate everything with fresh flowers. Nevertheless your Westy "Rantanplan" also looks nice with the new color.