Re-build 1600 SP or 1600TP for bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wil

Reaction score
Hi all,

What engines are you guys running in your early bays? I have the choice between getting a SP & TP engine rebuilt.

My van is a tin top & will needs to carry x2 adults & a 1 year old (+ all the stuff that comes with him) so not too heavy a bus. I want to be able to cruise at 65-70mph on long journeys & not have to tinker with the engine other than servicing.

A little bit of background, the TP has twin dells on it (36DRLA) & was great when it was running but there always seemed to be a problem with the carbs + it was a real sod to start up from cold. A burnt valve meant this engine was put out of service.

The SP that replaced it had slight end float but ran great (sat at 70 for 200 mile plus without any struggle/strain) + it started first time every time.

After searching around on here it seems a lot of you run SP engines & i'm inclined to go down this route, using the oil cooler, doghouse & fan from the TP.

I don't have a budget in mind but wouldn't want to venture over the 2k mark if possible... Any suggestions or have any of you been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance

Dont take this the wrong way but I think you have it round the wrong way,

If you want to cruise and 65 - 70 MPH you need to be ruynning as large a rear tyre as possible and really a taller gearbox.

Your gearbox and stock rear tyres will cruise happily at 55 to 65MPH.

The engine is how fast you get to that crusing speed and how easily you can overtake, not how fast you can cruise.

Its simple maths that everyone overlooks and gets confussed about.

I would say the reason you are having to rebuild the single port is that its been cruised too fast for too long and its worn it out.

for 2K mark I would say it isnt worth rebuilding your own but would be more cost effective to get a recon unit with a warranty and use your engine as the core for exchange.

Single Port:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211100033AX/engine-t2-1600cc-single-port-200mm-12v-fly-ssp/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twin Port:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211100033BX/engine-t1-t2-1-6-twin-port-new-heads-200mm-12v-fly-ssp/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be tempted to sell all the bits you have privately and go for a brand new 1641 TP and keep the 36DRLA's (they are ACE carbs and really suited to the job)

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211100035SPM/engine-ssp-all-new-1641-no-exchange-needed/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know its a little over the budget but selling your single port and twin port bits you have should easily make up the difference and may even give you enough left over to get a nice exhaust:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC251816/vintage-speed-sports-exhaust-system-t2-68-79-std-tail-pipe/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loads of threads on this forum with members that are running a similar set up:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps a little.

All my best

Alex

I agree with Alex, I'm running standard solex on a 1600 tp, on the motorway I usually go along between 55-65.

Alex makes a good point here, twin port 1600 or 1641 with the dells will be a good choice. The issue with starting is probably due to poor set-up on the carbs or timing, nowt to do with the TP. Dell 36's are a very good choice.
As to cruising speeds I did 530 miles from Edinburgh to Bude last week in one night, all at 55-60 mph, you'll not want to be running faster than that for any length of time as your knuckles will ache from gripping the wheel :)

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I've gone down many upgrade routes starting from a 1600sp. its as broad as it is wide.

what I will say is regardless of whether one 1yr old stays one or becomes two, what it will become is 2yrs old then 3 yrs old

and with each year you can add around another box load of clothes, wellies, coats, bikes, scooters, lego, chairs, awnings, etc etc

so any power advantage helps! #

i'd stick with the TP and 36's - get them tuned properly on a good rolling road, benefit from the better cooling arrangements and keep the rest aside for rainy days

i run a stock 1600tp and we cope fine with 6 of us and all our camping gear (some on a roofrack just to give some more aero resistance) cruising at 55-60 made 24+ mpg 380 miles to cornwall only once struggled on the A30 down to 40mph in 3rd gear otherwise a fine 10 hour long journey. Maybe rebuild the tp with cam and decent exhaust and you'd cope fine with hills and all your luggage.

Latest posts