Re-filling Front Seats

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorothyMantooth

Reaction score
Hi, apologies in advance for this potentially ridiculous question.

I want to refill the foam on my front original seats without removing the covers / trim. It's the original trim and tatty as heck but I love it.

what foam / hair should I buy that's cheap and cheerful and how do I go about re-filling them? My sore back appreciates your answers in advance! :D

I`m really sorry, but I don`t see how it could be done without getting the covers off. If you proceed and take them off you may have to be very careful with fabric that old, and as far as what to use, I think you could use just about anything you want if it`s in addition to the original stuff. I like the idea of saving the old seat covers but it may not be practicable if you want to stuff something else in as well. If I was brave enough I think I`d use some bubble insulation stuff and try and squeeze in between the springs and the stuffing to help reflect as well, just a thought, might be do able :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
I`m really sorry, but I don`t see how it could be done without getting the covers off. If you proceed and take them off you may have to be very careful with fabric that old, and as far as what to use, I think you could use just about anything you want if it`s in addition to the original stuff. I like the idea of saving the old seat covers but it may not be practicable if you want to stuff something else in as well. If I was brave enough I think I`d use some bubble insulation stuff and try and squeeze in between the springs and the stuffing to help reflect as well, just a thought, might be do able :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Cheers Ozzie. Yeah I'll try squeeze some stuff between the springs. I'm not looking for anything fancy - just enough to not break my back!!

The patina is brilliant on the seats. Maybe I'll just use a cushion and suck it up

DorothyMantooth said:
Hi, apologies in advance for this potentially ridiculous question.

I want to refill the foam on my front original seats without removing the covers / trim. It's the original trim and tatty as heck but I love it.

what foam / hair should I buy that's cheap and cheerful and how do I go about re-filling them? My sore back appreciates your answers in advance! :D

As Ozzy says you'll struggle to do it without removing the covers. I got some coconut matting pads from wolfsburg west and bought some original covers from a guy on here. Really taking your time it is possible to fit your original covers, and believe me the comfort of the new pads is fantastic :D

Hi, I did a "temporary" job on mine a few years ago and they now feel so comfy I have never got round to doing them properly.
Heres what I did. I had some 11mm foam carpet underlay left over from a job so I cut it to shape over the top of the seats leaving about half an inch all round the edges. flipped the seats over and undid the clips holding the base springs together and managed to tuck the underlay up between them and the existing horsehair padding (so it sits nice and flush, its a bit of a faff but doable). then I had a brainwave and to stop the underlay squashing round the springs I used a flexible vinyl floor tile (again from work) to sit between the underlay and springs (again fiddly but doable). then I re fitted all the clips that join the springs together and added a couple more bits of wire here and there as that's all I had.
I can honestly say it made a huge difference to how they look and feel (no creases anymore and soft but firm). They used to squeak like mad over every bump and it sorted that as an added bonus too :D

give it a go its time well spent...........Kev

If they are still stuffed with horse hair just buy some more and try ramming it in. Then spray from underneath with some adhesive to hold it all together. Just an idea dont know if it would work? I think if you try and take the covers off then you might struggle to get them back on without them falling apart.

Latest posts