Re-Wiring Advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacebiscuit

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of running a new wires in my 1971 bus. The new loom is a Just Kampers listed as being suited to a "VW T2 Bay 1968-1972".

I have removed the old loom from the engine compartment and I've laid it out against the new loom and I've got a wiring disagram printed off in an attempt to match it up. I've noticed an additional connection on a small section which branches off just before the loom enters the engine compartment:

EhURfdn.jpg

As you can see there are two connections, the red/white bolts to the starter motor iirc.

Now comparing this to the new loom:

U81FCSM.jpg

As you can see there are 3 connections, so what is the 3rd for?

As mentioned the loom says it fits 68-72 buses, so perhaps the extra connection is required for a non-71 bus? It looks like a significant connection though and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unconnected.

Has anyone else fitted one of these looms, seems the colouring of the wires is not standard spec, it's really not clear for example which connections are for the rear lights, even when laying the two looms side-by-side. The loom is listed as an "Autosparks" quality opposed to a cheaper loom that I have been warned to steer clear of so hopefully I've just mis-understood something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Bob.

Hi,

I'm in the process of running a new wires in my 1971 bus. The new loom is a Just Kampers listed as being suited to a "VW T2 Bay 1968-1972".

I have removed the old loom from the engine compartment and I've laid it out against the new loom and I've got a wiring disagram printed off in an attempt to match it up. I've noticed an additional connection on a small section which branches off just before the loom enters the engine compartment:

EhURfdn.jpg

As you can see there are two connections, the red/white bolts to the starter motor iirc.

Now comparing this to the new loom:

U81FCSM.jpg

As you can see there are 3 connections, so what is the 3rd for?

As mentioned the loom says it fits 68-72 buses, so perhaps the extra connection is required for a non-71 bus? It looks like a significant connection though and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unconnected.

Has anyone else fitted one of these looms, seems the colouring of the wires is not standard spec, it's really not clear for example which connections are for the rear lights, even when laying the two looms side-by-side. The loom is listed as an "Autosparks" quality opposed to a cheaper loom that I have been warned to steer clear of so hopefully I've just mis-understood something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Bob.
Hey Bob, i know its been a while since you posted, but did you find out what the wire was for? Making my own loom bespoke, just getting bits together now.

Dynamo vs alternator?

That would be my guess too! The 38A rated dynamo had an external voltage regulator, but I vaguely recall that there was an early-type alternator [50A rating & external voltage regulator] and late-type alternator [55A rating & internal voltage regulator]

Latest posts