Rear brake drum won't play nicely

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quincey

Reaction score
Howdy gang.
I need to replace the rear offside (LHd '71) brake shoes and the bloody drum refuses to come off. I have taken the wheel off, taken out the two small bolts that hold the drum to the hub and baked off the pads. The wheel turns freely but it won't budge. I have had it soaking in WD40 since the weekend and just went to try and get it off again but .......nah! Am I missing something?

As always, any clues to get this beasty off are appreciated as it has failed MOT for this reason and the clock is ticking.

What's properly happened is a groove has been created in the drum find the strongest part of the back plate to get a pri bar in then at the same time smack the drum with a heavy copper hammer this works well

its cos vw in there infiate wisdom :msn4: put a spigot on the drive flange,but the brake drum is thin and also flared out so when you try to pull it of it bends and then locks on hub ,BIG lever time.

Tap it with an hammer all round the drum. My pad return spring had snapped, so the pad was constantly in contact, hence a bit stiff to release

Hi Guys.
Thanks for your input. Just got back inside the house and I got the bugger off! Used your advice and some gentle persuasion and she finally came off. Will order the spare parts now.
Thanks again.

Latest posts