rear brake preasure regulator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlestHobo

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get one from?
Or of I can get a reconditioning kit?

It would appear mine is fooked...

What's up with it? Is it leaking?

Mine was leaking a couple of years ago, all I did was take it apart, thoroughly clean it up and rebuild it. As far as I know there are no rebuild kits for it but if I remember right, all there is inside to renew is an O ring and you just need to get some gasket paper to make a new gasket and job done.

Yeah it is leaking a bit, my mechanic has just replaced a master cylinder (it being brakes and me being a newbie it wasn't something i wanted to tackle myself). Now the preassure seems low and there appears to be air in the system even after bleeding it 3 times.....arghhh its failing the MOT on it....

Go for it then, strip it and rebuild it. Very easy job and potentially saving you a lot of money as I think they are pretty hard to get hold of second hand.

heritage and C and C do them but at £180 I would see what you can do yourself.
Funny enough mine failed last week on the same thing, tester said there was a slight leak and needed sorting, I took it to a mate who cleaned it up and no matter how hard we stood on the pedal we couldnt see any leak or seepage :shock:
Going for a retest tomorrow and just a little nervous now.
They are only on busses with disc brakes if im not mistaken so might be worth asking on thelatebay if you need one.

quite easy to take apart and as long as you take pics along the way they are very easy, there isn't much in there....spring and a large ball bearing from memory.

I do have pictures of mine somewhere...

Ask the tester if it would pass if the compensator was replaced with a flexible brake hose.
I don't suggest you leave it like this - you'll loose the back end in an emergency stop.

i managed to get second hand one rackhams ipswich is braking a 72 (non vw bits 4sale) worth asking how much and if available new one from heritage over £200

Cheers guys,

going to have a go at taking the part off myself, anything I need to be mindful of? Is it just a case of taking it off (taking pictures!).

Do I need to worry about pressure in the pipes, brake fluid etc etc?

Cheers

LittlestHobo said:
Cheers guys,

going to have a go at taking the part off myself, anything I need to be mindful of? Is it just a case of taking it off (taking pictures!).

Do I need to worry about pressure in the pipes, brake fluid etc etc?

Cheers

No, nothing special to worry about, no pressure unless you have your foot on the brakes, just be carefull you don't lose your spring or ball bearing. Prepare yourself for fluid loss which doesn't do paint much good, have a couple of small lengths of suitable rubber pipe with bolts in one end to plug your brake lines.

You will have to bleed the brakes afterwards of course, but it should only need to be the back half.

Thanks for the tips anyone know where I can get a refurb kit from, o rings etc?

Cheers

Don't know if you want to roll like this...But...Mine failed mot on non functioning rear brakes,traced this back to the regulator.
So I had a solid brake pipe made up by local motor factors and have used the van for 12 months without any hiccups.....And Ive locked it up twice with no tail twitching :D

Latest posts