Rear brake pressure regulator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craighod

Reaction score
Hi sorry if it's not called rear brake pressure regulator but it's positioned behind the master cylinder on my 72 earlybay basically I think it's goosed it supplys brake fluid to rear wheels and it is allowing fluid to go in but not out I have removed it stripped it down and cleaned inside there is a large ball bearing and looks like a piston and spring I have put it all back together but still not allowing fluid to flow out was just wondering if I do away with it and put a piece of flexi pipe in its place to allow fluid to flow to rear wheels will it cause any problems or would I be ok to do this I presume it's there so the rear wheels don't brake at same time as front wheels any advice appreciated cheers

The brake pressure regs are no longer available,

You can bypass them they are designed so that when the van is laiden or braking very heavily to shift the brake balance.

Not ideal but it'll work without one.

It's got to be worth trying a second hand one as they are so cheap, even the dealers practically give them away.

I picked one up at bustypes last year for a fiver, stripped and cleaned it out as it was disgusting inside.

It's not really advisable to run without one, last thing you want is to brake hard and have your rear end trying to overtake you!

Out of interest I also looked at other models while trying to find one, as in theory they do the same thing and found that the Capri etc also run a very similar unit to the vw

Been running mine like this for four years now with no problems.
Loaded up or empty ,down hill or on the flat it always brakes in a straight line.Even at 45-50mph when some t..t pulls out on you.
Good job these old vans aren't very fast or it could have got messy........

Couldn't catch up with them :lol:

so when its removed and the ball bearing is back away - can you blow through the inlet?

Mine was retro fitted to a non disc bus [when discs where fitted] and was at the wrong inclination - and therefore was 'working' all the time, which is why I couldn't bleed my rear brakes

there is a bleed nipple on them too as I'm sure you've sussed - careful they shear quite easily - probably hasn't been undone in, ever!

I stripped mine down cleaned it up and fitted a new bleed nipple,brakes wouldn't bleed up on the rear.Unbolted it from the chassis and tilted it and the brakes would bleed ok.
Bolted it back on to the chassis and the rear brakes wouldn't lock up although the pedal was firm.failed the first test(MOT)on this , tried bolting it on at an angle and re bleeding the brakes but didn't work.
Made a hard line to replace it and it's been fine ever since,I'm not saying it'll work for every one but it hasn't been a problem for me...non servo and had 71/72 calipers fitted now running 73> brakes all round with no problems.......Dave

dubdubz said:
so when its removed and the ball bearing is back away - can you blow through the inlet?

Mine was retro fitted to a non disc bus [when discs where fitted] and was at the wrong inclination - and therefore was 'working' all the time, which is why I couldn't bleed my rear brakes

there is a bleed nipple on them too as I'm sure you've sussed - careful they shear quite easily - probably hasn't been undone in, ever!

Actually I believe not all have bleed nipples on them, obvioulsy they had issues with the early ones and fitted one :lol:

Latest posts