Rear brakes binding on

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby67

Reaction score
The rear drum brakes on my 1970 T2 are binding on after a few miles causing the wheel to get seriously hot.

Before starting journey the hand brake releases OK allowing vehicle to be pushed by hand.

I've stripped down brake assembly, adjusted the brake pads and cooper greased moving parts but it hasn't cured the problem

Any ideas please

First check you have some free play on the brake pedal.

If yes then jack up an offending wheel. Press firmly on the bake pedal. Then get out and check to see if the wheel turns by hand or is stuck.

If it turns it's likely you have the adjustment set a tad too tight.

If it's stuck, briefly open the bleed valve on the wheel cylinder.

If the wheel is still stuck the wheel cylinder is sticking and needs replacing.

If the wheel turns then it's likely you need to replace the rear brake flexible hoses.

I had a similar problem on my previous van literally for years, brakes would get so hot you could fry and egg on the hubcap, only way I could release the brakes was to crack the bleed nut let some fluid out and reduce the pressure - I lost count of how many times I had to do this under the van on the hard shoulder, it, drove, me, fucking, nuts!!! I tried all manner of things, rebuilding, replacing pipes, replacing hoses, even replaced the drums.. And finally after years I worked out that the rod that goes into the master cylinder was going in a bit too far, so I adjusted it back a bit and problem solved. Best day of life.

Simon

Quite a number of years ago I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the same as Simon's. There was not enough free play on the master cylinder rod on brake pedal. After adjusting it to correct clearance problem solved. If the rod is not adjusted correctly fluid can not get back into reservoir and brakes stay on.
Robert

..I had similar problem and it was the slave cylinder, wheel spun freely when cool, but binded after a few miles

So when I jacked the wheel up it spun freely (had time to cool), but after a few miles wheel got very hot (smelled smoke in cab).

New slave cylinder sorted, when playing with the old one the piston kinda clicked and locked open sometimes.

Bought two replacements from C&C and one of them was jammed when brand new, they replaced it no problem, but leaves doubts over the
quality....

I can't help feeling the urge to touch each wheel now whenever we stop !

Latest posts