Rear Bumper Trouble

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willi76

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a '72 cross over bay would have the mounting holes on the rear bumper in a different place to a pre '72. I bought a bumper ages ago which had just come off a van, put on the delux trim and hey presto it don't fit :roll:
Just wondering if the removable rear valance on the earlier is slightly narrower than the fixed ones on a '72 :?

Muhahahaha you have just discovered one of the little known about one year only parts on a crossover, in fact not even one year, about 4 months until the squrae bumpers went on.

I did just the same as you, I found a decent bumper had it blasted and sprayed, came to fit it DOH!

I got around it by getting some strip steel quite thick 4 or 5 mm (it is a bumper after all!) and making some adaptor plates up to shift the holes across the required amount, works a treat.

Regards Stodge

stodge said:
Muhahahaha you have just discovered one of the little known about one year only parts on a crossover, in fact not even one year, about 4 months until the squrae bumpers went on.

I did just the same as you, I found a decent bumper had it blasted and sprayed, came to fit it DOH!

I got around it by getting some strip steel quite thick 4 or 5 mm (it is a bumper after all!) and making some adaptor plates up to shift the holes across the required amount, works a treat.

Regards Stodge

I did this to convert a '67 split rear bumper to a '68 Bay by using a piece of slotted dexion racking.

There is somthing really weird as i've just looked at the bumpers again and noticed that somone has welded up some old bolt holes before which look like they might be in the right place :? Strange seeing as Ez's van, who i got them from,is an early and not a cross over :shock:
I think the delux trim'll cover new holes if i need to drill em but the adapter sounds a good idea as it'll save me putting more holes in a good bumper :D
Thanks guys 8)

Latest posts