Rear Coilovers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyO

Reaction score
G'Day All,

After a bit of advice, after fitting horseshoe plates on the rear of the bus she sits a bit too low, the driveshaft’s are catching on the chassis when even slightly loaded in the rear. Also she sits a bit low compared to the front (drop spindles). Given that I plan to tow and it sits a tad low I figured that adjustable rear coil overs may be just the ticket - it would seem that VW had the same idea:

http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=166753&hilit=

Has anyone on here done this, if so where di you score the shock from?
Currently looking at these:

http://www.corbymotorsport.com/1-34-bodies-12mm-rods-bonded-bushes-p-4298.html

19" version, they also do a 2" body with a 14mm rod - guessing that this may be a better idea as they are more substantial, not sure about clearance though...

I agree, or flog the hor-shoe's an just use splines. I can't see the point of them unless you go really low/notch the chassis etc and the camber gets wild.

Horsehoes were to get rid of the camber that we had, coilovers (adjustable) are a good solution for me in that when I tow (or load up the rear) I can level the back of the van off.

I do agree however, that a spline may also make sense.

I have a set on the shelf and I haven't even opened the packet. :roll: Was going to fit them but by the time they arrived, months after ordering them, I'd found 2 splines didn't alter the camber much so didn't bother. Just fitted adjustable spring plates and still didn't fit the horseshoes - I don't think I'd get the wheel off with them fitted so just splined and adjusted.

OK so up a spline we went, approx 2" rasie - looks to have done the job. Managed to complete both sides - 2 hrs each with no hitches - when does that ever happen? :shock:

Also went up on the front (coilovers) was bottoming out and needed to level the van off a bit due to the raise at the rear.

So all good in the hood but the van looks a bit high, think I might start putting a few pennies aside for adjustable spring plates instead of coilovers for the rear, will then be able to get the best balance usability / stance - i think.

Cheers for the input all.

Latest posts