Rear headliner bow - how does it fit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pboothlna

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 71 tintop that I'm trying to fit a new TMI headliner in.
The original headliner was in pretty bad shape when I got the van, mostly ripped and hanging down, so I have no reference to how the factory headliner looked and fitted.
I have 9 bows that were in the van when I purchased it, the last (rear most) one is a short straight piece but I don't know how this fits to the body of the van.
Is there some kind of bracket that fixes to the rear hatch hinge section?
Does anyone have any pictures?
Thanks,
Paul.

The rear of the headliner has a plastic strip sown in and it hooks behind a metal strip in the van.
That's why you start from the back and tension it towards the front. I have a write-up somewhere on this forum on how to fit the headliner.

Thanks for the reply.

The first loop on the headliner starting from the rear is an elongated loop.

The spring steel wire bow that I have for this position is a lot shorter than the other 8 and doesn't reach the sides of the van so I'm thinking it must fix to the frame in the roof section by the hatch hinges somehow.

That's where I'm confused.

Any advice?

the last but one roof cross member has 3 or 4 tabs on it - the headliner pocket with the short metal bow inside hooks over these tabs, then is tensioned towards the front of the van - the bow + the pocket fabric should be secure behind these tabs - the tabs may need opening up slightly to get the bow over, then they should be tapped back down - beware snapping them...

the final fit of the headlines is to tension the rear section of fabric back from this rear bow to the tailgate opening.

cheers
Rob

Thanks Rob.

There must have been a tab shortage the week my van was made as there is no trace of them. There are a number of self tapper holes so they probably secured the last bow with a screwed on clip or something.

I think I can use a 'P' clip to hold the rear bow....thanks for confirming that it fixed to the roof....I was starting to wonder if I was missing a full length bow.

Cheers,
Paul.

strange - the tangs should be on the last but one rear roof beam - not the last rear beam which the tailgate hinges mount to - they are on the rear side of the square-profile beam...
Rob

I've used the headliner from wonderland classics - quality product, very clear fitting instructions and helpful tips down the phone when needed!
Rob

yes I should say you do if you want to do a proper job - the headliner comes down below the top line of the windows and is secured by the window rubber over the lip of the window opening.
Rob

Latest posts