Rear Lights not working

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspira

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just putting my 72 Crossover back together after a respray. Not too many problems but I can't get my rear lights to work - either side. Brake lights working fine so are the front lights and front side lights and the number plate light at the rear which takes its feed from the rear light I beleive. Can't think what it could be. Any ideas or a method for fault finding?

Many thx

test lamp and see if you have feed to lights first,rh rear is fed buy same feed as no plate ,lh rear same as both fronts .

no feed to rear lights on either side. In fact the number plate light which is working isn't being fed from either of the rear light feeds as it should - it disappears into the loom. I guess i could run a feed from that but it was working before so something odd going on.

I've double checked the light switch, removed and replaced fuses. I've also found that my dip & high beam switch (stem) isn't working but I don't think this is related to the rear lights problem. Just trying to do one thing at a time.

Hi All,

Spent today trying to sort this, armed with a handful of posts for reference. Made some progress ...

Got the right hand rear working fine
Number plate light - working fine although I can't identify the feed. It doesn't come from the indicator feed as it should do.

No feed going to the other side. It's has been re-wired at some point and the cable colours don't make much sense. The cable that plugs into the lamp (that isn't working) is Black.
I guess the thing to do is trace it back to the fuse box but it's difficult - could there be an in-line fuse?

Could I just run a wire from the right hand rear indicator that works or will this put too much strain on that circuit. The reason they are separated in the first place I guess?

On the low/high been switch problem.
Checked the light switch against speedyJim's very useful sketches - all correct.
56 on the switch goes to 56 on the headlight relay
Replaced fuses
Replaced the relay with a new one - still no click
Got no clue where to go on this one

Headlight and front sidelights work fine.

Any help appreciated.

shame that i'am to far away :roll: the feed to the rh rear side/no plate light is spliced in the loom.grey with a red trace.the lh is grey with a trace but cant remember what :? best thing is check where the wires come from fuse box first and also look where wire has been conected to loom from lamp.you have headlamps but they wont dip then check wires to dipswitch,brown /white trace and brown ,if you earth the brown wire on relay it should work.

many thx - earthing the brown to the relay solved that problem.

confused myself last night with everything else - wires coming out my ears. Fresh look over the weekend.

Finally got both my rear light working, indicators, horn, internal lights and front side lights after much brain ache and tracing wires through the van. Now understand a bit more of how it all works.

But - I've now lost my head lights on low and high beam but I can hear the relay click.

My bus is a 72 Crossover imported from the US many yrs ago and I wonder if this might have an impact. After reading through the threads it seems that US vans didn't have a high beam relay so people in the UK used a workaround to fix this. Maybe I have taken out that work around.

Might be clutching at straws and it could be something more obvious, any ideas as to what it might be?

Many thx

got a high beam relay but no flash.sounds like you have lost the feed to light switch or onto relay,72 is ign feed to headlamp switch from ign switch,black/yellow.on the relay yellow and white wires go to feed lights via fuse box,brown is the wire to dip switch so it the other wire that can remember the colour of :oops: that comes from light switch.

You might be right about losing the feed to the relay. I found a thick green wire coming from the back of the fusebox but didn't connect to anything.

I just tried putting the old relay back in (the one I replaced in trying to sort this out). Headlights working but no switching between high and low and no clicking at the relay.

Put the new relay in and I can hear the relay clicking but no headlight only side lights.

Here's a few pics

My light switch
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10173955/2012-06-25%2017.33.54.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10173955/2012-06-25%2017.38.04.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The old relay
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10173955/2012-06-25%2017.42.36.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new relay
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10173955/2012-06-25%2017.43.07.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if your headlamps work with old relay then feed must be ok,wouldant surprize me if new relay is faulty as had many new ones that dont work :roll:

Yes, it's the black and white wire that connects the switch and the relay #56

Okay that would makes sense about the new relay - it could be faulty

But doesn't explain why i can't get high and low beam on the old relay?

Latest posts