rear seat belts???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish gerry

Reaction score
hey folks i would really like to fit seat belts in the rear of my bus, is there a kit you can buy and how are they to fit??

does anyone have any pics??

thanks in advance 8)

If you have a micro then the fixings will be present. There is already a couple of threads which detail it cant remember off hand though do a search on seat belts

I don't know if this helps, but in the pic below the 4 black dots on the firewall are the original fixing points for seat belts:

inkijkje.jpg

And here you have a drawing of original seatbelts:

t208220.gif

does anyone know of any 3 point belts that can be fitted into the back? i can't think of how/where they'd fit but if it's available i'd like to spend my money on them rather than the lap belts.

Thanks

Jenna

Most seat belt suppliers sell them the only thing is that the micros had all the mounting points fitted if you see the pic above it shows the four plastic screws which protect the threads for the unused bulkhead fitted the two inners being for a lapbelt the two outers being the seatbelt receivers. the retractable portions are secured on the wheel arch and below the rear side window (ring guide) with the mechanism in the recess below the window (though depending on the seat belts it can be mounted where the guide ring is and the belt feeds directly from the reel) or theres the version where a steel bar is run at seat height across the width of the van and takes 3 retractors so that all three passengers have the security of a 3 way belt.

try vw heritage all the usual vw companies do them at around the same price or Carole (Baydreamers) may be able to sort some out?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/_catalogues/download/T2/VWH%20T2%2005%20SeatBelts%20RubberMats%20Carpets%20Gauges.pdf

Theres a thread in the Tech section on this forum that should explain all :D

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=911

Custom and Commercial do really nice and reasonably priced belts. They have a choice of colour webbing and high quality chrome buckles with the Wolfsburg crest on them. I fitted their three point belts ( static ) in the back of my Devon which was converted from a Kombi and had all the anchorage points from original ( apart from the wheel arch ones which had rusted out and needed replacing). It's really important to check how strong these rear arches are as they are a bit of a weak point especially on campers with leaky pop tops, particularly early Devons.

Im having the same issue with my early Devon - I need two belts on the rear bench seat plus one on one of the rear-facing 'buddy' seats (for 3 child seats) - think Ill have to have some points welded into the middle bulkhead for that one ...

Latest posts