recon steering box now fitted.....WOW

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongy

Reaction score
ive just fitted my recon steering box,why dident i do this years ago?i took it up the bypass for a test run ,in the wind wow.my van can drive in straight lines now, even when its blowing a gale.i cant belive ive put up with this for 18 months, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hello Strongy so when they rebuilt the box did they do a report or list all the probs and work that was required?

I'm finding it hard to get info from them but it sounds like they sorted you out....

no but came back looking like new,i bought it of ebay so dont no how worn it was anyway,i think they send them of to someone else to be done as when i mentioned how long ,he said they usually have them 5 days

they rang for card detals on fri and it was hear today at 10.30 so postage is good,and like i say it works a treat

I had to fit my crosser with a new s/box last month, sent it to Mega Bug and they re-conned my box and sent it back within a week.

The best thing i have done to my van, it drives great now no more constant steering adjustments when its windy :lol:

strongy said:
ive just fitted my recon steering box,why dident i do this years ago?i took it up the bypass for a test run ,in the wind wow.my van can drive in straight lines now, even when its blowing a gale.i cant belive ive put up with this for 18 months, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

strongy can you post up their details again, and how much it cost

also how much were mega bug, chops

slammedresto said:
strongy said:

strongy can you post up their details again, and how much it cost

also how much were mega bug, chops

They charged me £250 and £20 postage, they had it picked up 3 hours after phoning them and i recieved it back 6 days later. Speak to a guy called Dave Hunt @ Mega Bug he's reallt clued up.

it was http://www.power-steering.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it cost £160 +vat turn around 7 days

like i said i dont know how bad the box was ,but the ebay add said is was worn and would have to be reconditioned,so im guessing it was shagged

dont know if your interested, but for the box of ebay and postage n that it cost me £40,if you wanted to do the same so your bus isent of the road, you can have my old one for the same and il post it direct to the steering place,then sell your old one of when your done :mrgreen: or £30 and il bring it to action :mrgreen:

cool, will let you know as soon as ive had a decent drive.............lol

not been on the open road yet, just covering my bases

took about an hour and a half,working on the drive,only tricky bit was unbolting the steering column from the box as they were tight all the way and i was on my own,its a bit of a stretch to get one arm in the cab the other under the bus,the column splines on to the box but you cant get it out without undoing the 2 steering column bolts

make sure you have the new split pins for the castle nuts as mine were shagged and i wouldent like to drive around without them on pluss it will fail the mot without them,other than that not a bad little job

i was suprized how easy the drag link arm came of tho,i cant see them all being that easy

strongy said:
dont know if your interested, but for the box of ebay and postage n that it cost me £40,if you wanted to do the same so your bus isent of the road, you can have my old one for the same and il post it direct to the steering place,then sell your old one of when your done :mrgreen: or £30 and il bring it to action :mrgreen:

whats was the condition of yours like before u sent it off to them, and how good is it now its been reconned

whats the one like that u have to sell?

think mine needs doing, as its the only bit left not replaced up front, and i have a clonking on full lock

i bought a shagged one of ebay and got the seller to post direct to the recon place,so i have no idea how worn it was(it was advertized as badly worn)hence me having a spare,the one im selling is worn aswell,will defo need reconing,the one ive put on is fantastic.i turn the wheel and the wheels move now :mrgreen:

strongy said:

if youve still got that box, can i take u up on your offer to send it off to the recon place for me

cheers
Gary

hope you don`t mind me bringing this back to the top but i was wondering how the steering box is nearly 2 years down the line? how much mileage have yu done on it since you fitted it and i is it still good?

also, how did you get the arm of it - did you have to take this off so you could remove from the van?

cheers, mik

its a good as it was when i put it on.,i must do about 5000 miles a year.dont get me wrong the steering wheel has still got a little play in it,i was exspecting no play at all.but still some of the best cash ive ever spent on the van and would highley recomend geting it done if your bus is allover the shop,it feels alot safer and easyer to drive.

oh,the arm on mine came of a doddle,just pulled of.im sure you would usually need a puller for this

Latest posts