Red light faintly flashing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all 71 lhd bay. Coming back from Volksworld show after sitting at just under 60mph the red light in the cluster started to flash very faintly but not staying on. This happened as the traffic slowed to around 40 miles an hour then again at 20 mph. I saw the red light and thought oil pressure issue but am I right that's the green and not the red?? Thanks.

Theres Oil and Generator red warning lights

Oil light = Low Oil Pressure (or fault)
Generator light = Issue with dynamo/alternator/battery or not charging for some reason

The generator warning lamp is on the left, oil pressure on the right. Both are red from 1969 MY.
Download yourself an owner's manual from here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

It's one of two things bud-
1- most serious, though not THAT serious: Your dynamo/alternator isn't charging the battery properly. You'll notice this problem before easier and easier to diagnose, and after that you'll have a good excuse for not going to work and stuff.
2- people often ignore this one: There's a lot of wire between your warning bulb and the battery. Sometimes the contacts on the fusebox, ignition switch, bulb, or earth get a bit crusty, so the voltage difference between "at the bulb" and "at the battery" is enough to make the lamp glow slightly. Best thing to do is clean up the contacts, but some people either live with the glow or put some red nail polish over the warning lamp I'm told.

Best way to get some peace of mind- buy a voltmeter/multimeter (think Halfords are doing them for £7.50 or so last time I checked, or Maplin have them) turn it onto "Volts" or "20V" or something like that, put the black wire on the battery negative and the red wire onto the battery positive. Then rev the engine a bit (2000RPM, so like you're pulling away from a junction). If it reads anything under 13.5V or so, you have a charging issue.

I use to get this on my old golf, it was poor earthing and general connections, clean up contacts and you'll find you get rid of it,

But where to start!!

Latest posts