Reg Plate Placement?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
markevo30 said:
mine has previously been on the front bumper (secured with 3m stickyback velcro) however I have now decided to role without a front plate.. I really just like the look better without. Is a police officer gonna do a handbrake turn to pursue a classic bus doing 26mph or even notice??

FTW :rocknroll:

I'm with you Lemur, I'm not running with a front plate either. Having just had my bumpers filled, straightened and painted I can't bring myself to drill them. I've just bought these magnetic plates to get me through the MOT.

Where do the magnetic plates come from, look good

1241dffcb9207a1feb76cbd3167192eb.jpg

I have some of theses from USA spec plates, ideal if you want to mount USA style plates on the front bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is mine. Plan is to paint the plinth white one day...

My bumper already had loads of holes in though - but I can always weld up the screw holes in future, that's easy enough...

Campmobile70 said:
markevo30 said:
mine has previously been on the front bumper (secured with 3m stickyback velcro) however I have now decided to role without a front plate.. I really just like the look better without. Is a police officer gonna do a handbrake turn to pursue a classic bus doing 26mph or even notice??

FTW :rocknroll:

I'm with you Lemur, I'm not running with a front plate either. Having just had my bumpers filled, straightened and painted I can't bring myself to drill them. I've just bought these magnetic plates to get me through the MOT.

Where do the magnetic plates come from, look good

They're off ebay. About £18 for the pair. I got one for the back as well as i run a US style plate.

I'm not sure that you could use them all the time as the magnetic material isn't that strong but hopefully they'll stay on for MOT day (which is fast approaching!)

Mark

Love the idea of running without one! Our bus still needs a chunk of welding at the end of the year and then a paint job - may consider running without after that. Ours have gone back on the front panel and now they are black (instead of the horrid neon yellow's he had before) they actually look pretty good.... don't tell my husband I said that :lol: :msn4: .

This was my dilemma too ... but i went for front panel using adhesive pads, as I have already got 4 holes in the wrong place for my front badge :evil: so didn't want any more

New%20Bumper%20Bolts_zpshp1hjb3t.jpg

I have black/silver pressed numberplates but I really like the 3D plastic ones some of you have. Does anyone know what the style and placement was of the numberplates on original UK buses when they were new?

I have a 3D white plastic one, which I ordered from Frampton's

http://www.framptonsplates.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Mine is the Mid-green van a few posts up, TYR *** F)

Strictly they were more common on earlier vehicles - say 1950's - but I liked the look of them anyhow.

Can't help with original placement, I'm afraid, other than to say as previously that a nose-mounted spare wheel (which was a common period mod) obscures anything other than a bumper or under-bumper - mounted plate.

I made myself a plinth as personally I think the plate seems a bit bendy when mounted directly on the bumper, as obviously it doesn't match the 3D curve of the bumper blade.

Ours is under the bumper...however it needs to be remove able for when the inevitable breakdown happens as it will get smashed when the vans winched onto the recovery truck!!!

mine is attached by two chunky aluminium blocks, fixed on the top front bumper, yes holes are drilled. that how it came from the factory apparently.

image.php

Latest posts