Rekey ignition barrel question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob b

Reaction score
So when I got my bus it never came with any keys so I took a door handle off an got the code an rekeyed all my door locks to match one key then nxt came the ignition barrel I've got the right r code barrel with a none matching key took it apart an started to rekey it but when I tried to put the barrel back together the barrel wouldn't slide in the sleeve it came out off why is this

Cheers rob

as long as the keys in and the wafers are all retracted there shouldnt be a problem......post some quality pics up and they may shed some light.....

See If this helps me any so this is with only one tumbler in to try an show you what I mean

So with out the key
b408ec52.jpg

With the key in the tumbler sits flush one side an out the other that's what it's meant todo right?
Flush
88593fe1.jpg

Sticking out
c03888d4.jpg

So to then put it bak in the sleeve section with the tabs on the side of the barrel lined up with the grooves in the sleeve like so
1060c845.jpg

Then when you side it in you get to the tumbler an it's to wide one side so won't slide down any more
I couldn't get. A photo of that as it was to dark

What I have found is if I pull the key out of the barrel a tiny bit the tumbler sits equal on both side an slides on the sleeve But that doesn't seem right to me for some reason

Does this make sense to you?

Rob

pretty sure its supposed to be flush both sides with the key in. thats how i did my door lock and that works fine

Can't be flush both sides unless you file loads off but I dont wanna do that think ive sorted it now just need more tumbles

Rob

surely if its not flush on both sides the key wont turn anyway?
i found it seems to take an age of swapping wafers about to get a full set that all sit flush when key is in.

But have any of you lot done an ignition barrel I'll done all my other locks with out using a file so I know I've done them right but the ignition barrel is different

Rob

Done a few and its not really that different, correct wafer selection and they should all fit pretty much flush there may be a minimal amount of filing to do after all its the length of the slot thats the governing factor not the overall length of the wafer (they should all be the same length), rather than file the wafer outer edge, file the slot down that way the key wont push the wafer as far out of the barrel.....

The wafers come out of the barrel an the barrel is r code so I know its right for my key

I dunno I'm goin to rebuild it to the key it came with an see how the wafers sit like that

Rob

Hey Rob

All the wafers should indeed be level with both sides of the barell (with the key in, obviously..). Ignitions use 4 different wafer depths whilst all other locks only use 3 wafers. The 4th wafer is an added securety measure, thats why you always have missing wafers in your door locks, its where the 4th wafer goes. Make sure that you match all your wafers to their correct notch on your key. If you need any spare wafers to make it complete drop me a line as I have plenty. Cheers Dave

Latest posts