Removing Brake MC

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
As some of you may have seen, I am in the process of stripping off all the ancillaries off the underneath of the van.

At the stage of removing the brake MC but one of the bolts is stuck fast with the nut and just spins around when trying to remove.
The bolt head is very awkward to get to (nay impossible to get a socket or screwdriver on) so as the unit has not been used for many years and I would probably end up replacing it anyway, should I just cut it off close to the nut so I can then cut the nut off???

Not very good pics of the bolt due to having to use a naff camera phone - its the one closest to the chassis rail:

IMG_20160908_184344_zpscwqbssqz.jpg

IMG_20160908_184400_zpsakec8uiv.jpg

IMG_20160908_184405_zpssr1byh3l.jpg

Cheers.

That does look a right pig! Just cut it off and fit a replacement. You have probably wasted long enough on it.

Good work by the way 8)

creationblue said:
That does look a right pig! Just cut it off and fit a replacement. You have probably wasted long enough on it.

Good work by the way 8)

Cheers - I was going to cut it off last night but then thought I had better ask the question first :)

So tonight, I will be mostly getting covered in old brake fluid.....

So - grinder out with cutting disk - a little brake fluid and off it came :)
A few pics.

IMG_20160909_183848_zpshl7kxofc.jpg

IMG_20160909_183838_zpsuuoi1rnr.jpg

Cheers

Dude, I saw your post too late. Mine is the same, it's a real bitch. It may help in future though: I got a small cold chisel (tapered, flat tip) and wedged it (with some help from the hammer) between the curved shroud bit and the flat of the bolt head to lock the bolt still while undoing. Worked a treat but took a while to figure it out!
You could replace the bolts with socket head allen bolts as there's easy room for an allen key in there. Wish I had thought of that when I did mine but was replacing for an MOT retest and was in a rush!
Glad you got there anyway. Good luck with it.

purpledog07 said:
Dude, I saw your post too late. Mine is the same, it's a real bitch. It may help in future though: I got a small cold chisel (tapered, flat tip) and wedged it (with some help from the hammer) between the curved shroud bit and the flat of the bolt head to lock the bolt still while undoing. Worked a treat but took a while to figure it out!
You could replace the bolts with socket head allen bolts as there's easy room for an allen key in there. Wish I had thought of that when I did mine but was replacing for an MOT retest and was in a rush!
Glad you got there anyway. Good luck with it.
Cheers for your suggestion (hopefully help other people in the future!)
TO be honest, with the van not being used for a long time I think the best thing was to chuck it anyway!

Latest posts