Removing paint

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low n slow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been watching a set of video's on youtube about the slow restoration of a bus and the person doing it is taking off all the paint and getting down to the original dove blue with an American product called Goof off graffiti remover. It takes off everything that's been painted over the original paint which in this case is enamel. It's a 59 T2 so I wondering if the og paint on mine is enamel as well. Mine is a 70 model, Lotus white which you can still see inside and in some places on the exterior. Has anyone on here used "Goof off graffiti remover" to do this ?
If I used Nitromores instead does anyone know if it would attack the og paint?.
So 2questions really, first was the original paint on our busses enamel or something else and has anyone used this product. Or if not, what else can I use? Sorry, bit of a long one, cheers Shaun.

Don't use Nitromors or any other paint stripper as it will damage the original paint.
Oven cleaner and a scotchbrite pad works, but is very labour intensive.

The original paint was cellulose based rather than enamel.

Cellulose paint thinners and 0000 wire wool works. It will take you ages though.

My mates bus was blue when they got it.

https://magazine.heritagepartscentre.com/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/05/Heretics-16-05-2019-98-1050x700.jpg

Hi Shaun, I thought of removing only the added on white top on mine when I discovered the original red underneath. But it was fairly difficult and very labor intensive. I ended up getting impatient and attacking it with the orbital sander. The OG paint is definitely just cellulose, but fairly decent quality.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

I used some graffiti remover from Halfords and wire wool then tiny bits of the green nitromoors carefully which is more mild, didn’t go that far on ours as was so much filler and ended up replacing a lot of metal. As previous comments it takes a loooong time. Comes off a layer at a time, think ours had 4 layers over the og paint

7b14b1e2531e46851edf7e75063b4f05.jpg

d189c06f159473ac148a2a1c914f4749.jpg

745111145f3358a36782031e016caddf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts