repair or sell and buy a rust free import?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I have imported 3 vans from the U.S. and after what I have seen what people would call "rust free" or "minor work" you can't trust them !
I am not saying they are all bad but what I have learnt but gladly not the hard way, is to have a look before you buy.

America is a cool place ( once you get in ) and the people are nice and there are some nice vans up for grabs-and if you do go to California go to SANTA CRUZ just south of San Francisco,laid back surfing town with a really nice feel and a wicked beach.

If you are going to import a vechile it will cost around £1800-£2000 after you have paid loading, unloading, custom clearance, drayage, use of a ramp and then all your duties and taxes-oh boy the list goes on but it is doable.

Personally after reading through the thread, I would go and take a serious look at the guy whoose selling the empty bus for 2K. If you want a total mint bus and his is what he says it is-acid dip, repair what needs doing and then spray and swap the interior for a show winner !

DID YOU GET MY PM ?

I agree 'rust free' doesnt always mean that on US bus. I wont be buying one off photos only, so that rules me out of importing one myself, but might buy one already imported. I've seen a nice biege one on here for sale with no engine.

I think i have gone off the restore idea, been there done that, lay on my back for hours scrapping off underseal and poking with a screwdriver.

Also maybe decided the reshell options is not for me, note enough space to do this. 99% sure along the lines of sell mine, and start again with a sound shell.

and porsche engine :twisted:

I bought a van from Steve Walker, he imported it in from Arizona. It was super clean underneath, only needing a battery tray. I have since had the whole van repainted & am just doing the trim.

Although it has taken me the best part of 2 years, it really need not to have taken that long.

I am thinking of selling it, just needing the interior finishing for 11k. It is an easy way to do it without a whole lot of welding.

If it doesn't sell I will finish it off & maybe use it for a few shows next year...
http://www.aircooledtechnic.co.uk/projectbay.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Uber yes thats me

check out my club site and feel free to asvertise any of your stuff on there.

Couple ofpeople in my club importing from both California and Japan, one of the guys doesnt make much profit either. hes also now started acting as a finders service as well so you can spend a little more for a better bus and be safe in the knowledge that you will actuallt get a bus that you have chosen at the end of it

jayvanman said:
Guys I have imported 3 vans from the U.S. and after what I have seen what people would call "rust free" or "minor work" you can't trust them !
I am not saying they are all bad but what I have learnt but gladly not the hard way, is to have a look before you buy.

Yep, as Uber Cool says, don't buy off photos alone. Use a reputable finder service, such as Nic B-C and others mention. The one I put a link up for is already imported, so it wouldn't be too difficult to have a nosey to verify its condition. :)

I often get roped in either as a favour or a paid inspection for people buying vans. There is a lot of cack out there that people are asking a hell of a lot of money. Just count yourself lucky you are not trying to buy a Splitty.

Look carefully...

I have seen a far few by photos that although the owner/seller state 'rust free' I would beg to differ, just off the photos. One listed needing as much work as mine? The search continues.

I think the best way to do it is to buy a us imported bus that someone else has imported. That way you get to see it in the flesh and you don't get any nasty surprises from the customs and excise men. I've done it both ways (UK and US) and for me there's just no comparison between a dry-state us bus and a uk one. The metal you weld in will simply not be as good as og german steel. Panels will need working on to get them to fit, even if you buy from the better rep suppliers.

I bought an unwelded california bus over here for £4.3k. I couldn't have done it cheaper importing it myself, and there was no worries about trusting US seller to deliver, pats being nicked in transit etc. To get a UK bus as solid as this one you would be spending upwards of £7k, and probably nearer £8k.

Think you are bang on there Fred. I did the same & have ended up with a very nice bus.

Fredster, you are spot on and thats what I currently looking for! Must sell mine first or look for a px

I am tempted to sell my van now that it is nearly done, if anyone wants a pukka bus, just needs the interior fitting in nicely. (11k as is).

fredster said:
I think the best way to do it is to buy a us imported bus that someone else has imported. That way you get to see it in the flesh and you don't get any nasty surprises from the customs and excise men. I've done it both ways (UK and US) and for me there's just no comparison between a dry-state us bus and a uk one. The metal you weld in will simply not be as good as og german steel. Panels will need working on to get them to fit, even if you buy from the better rep suppliers.

I bought an unwelded california bus over here for £4.3k. I couldn't have done it cheaper importing it myself, and there was no worries about trusting US seller to deliver, pats being nicked in transit etc. To get a UK bus as solid as this one you would be spending upwards of £7k, and probably nearer £8k.

Yep, that's what appealed about the crossover I put a link up of. If I didn't already have the bus I ended up with, I'd certainly have loooked at that one, as it is for sale at £4,350 which seems fair, if it is as solid as described.
When I bought my previous bay (a mint LHD late bay ex Italian firebus) I wasn't sure how I'd get on with LHD but I found I took to it quite easily, which meant that after that bus I could widen my search for a low lighter to include imports, if I were unable to find a solid RHD one. :D

okay after much debate and the fact I didnt get the bonus I was hoping for from work :cry:

I'm keeping my camper and doing the bodywork up myself, just hope it doesnt end up on ebay as a non conplete resto :oops:

Anyway the kids are really chuffed that we are not selling, apart from my youngest, she wanted a new green camper called lumpy, bless her.

look out for it in the gallery section, also fitting the 911 engine over winter.

Good luck dude, i'm sure you can do it and it will turn out awesome, just keep the photos comming, every one likes to see a resto develop.

thanks, have the know how, have you seen my trailer? The time is the big factor, or lack of it should I say.

Big lesson learnt from other car work is not to strip too much and over face yourself. Must remember bus is still MOt'd till july 09. Biggest show stopper job is a front clip replacement, however I have had practise on the trailer :lol:

Latest posts