Replacement dormobile canvas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoony73

Reaction score
Hello

I purchased a replacement canvas for my bay and had it fitted by a Vw camper garage at a considerable cost. I received it back yesterday to find that the canvas is much bigger than the old one and apart from 2 strips to hold the metal poles in place there is no other support and when you raise the dormobile roof like there was on the old one that had straps on the canvas to clip onto the metal bars.

Has anyone else had this done and can suggest what I can add to the canvas to clip round the bars to give more support and a better fit for the canvas ?

Look forward to receive replies.

Thanks

Simon .

You should have got Velcro strips that need to be riveted in to the new canvas (I believe)

Hi andy

That's what I though but nothing apart from 2 stripes of thin cotton with 4 loops in to thread the bars though but gives no support to the canvas at all.

Where did you get the canvas from? the original canvas (and the replacement i fitted) has press stud loops sewn into the canvas.

Hi brick top

I believe the garage ordered it from proudtopop ?

Thanks

Simon

I would go back to proud and ask them the same question, especially if it was considerably expensive! be interested to know what they say?

Mine is exactly the same and from proud to pop. I fitted it myself and it works perfectly. Just as good as the old one!

Alex

Hi Alex

Thanks for the message. Did you get anything to connect the canvas to the poles apart from the 2 pieces of thread as mine do not seem to be able to support the canvas ?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, no I just have the two strips with the loops in. These are connected under the aluminium runners on the top of the roof and on the runner joined to the roof of the van. They all just pull up as the roof is raised and hold everything nice and tight.

I fitted them myself and it all works so I guess they should have got it right... Are the ribs joined in the right order when the roof opens out?

Alex

Hi Alex

By the looks of thing one of the metal bars is not attached the anything and they canvas is really baggy.

My gut feel is that the canvas was fitted as it and not pulled though and trimmed to make a snug fit ?

Does that sound right to you ?

Thanks

Simon

It could be. Pop the roof and check the order of the ribs is right. If all the ribs are through the hoops and in the right order there's no reason for it to be baggy. If they fitted it themselves they should have pulled the canvas through tight enough. If you add some images inside and out it may help?

Alex

Hi Alex

Appreciate your help. I will get home tonight and take some pics and post and see what you think.

Thanks

Simon

Hi

Well on inspection it looks like second rib from the top is not attached to the loops, I tried last night to free one end but cannot remove the third rib from the bolts to feed the loops though. Any ideas on how I can free it ?

I think if I can get that sorted and pull though the bottom canvas then re attach it should be ok.

If you have any ideas the best way to do that as I do not have any instructions that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Rather than taking everything to pieces maybe cut the loop and the stitch it with the rib through. 15 mins rather than a whole load of hassle!

Hi Alex

Good call I agree.

Is there any instructions you still have to following the process ?

I raised the roof to the full level but the strips are not tight, does that need amending so the top and bottom is tight or is the bottom strip quite loose ?

Really appreciate your help on this and I think I might have a go myself.

Simon

My strips are fairly tight but not too much. You need a bit of give in there so that it can move. If you pm your number to me I'll text you some pics of mine later so you can compare if you like?

Hi Alex

That would be really appreciated so I can compare it to something.

will pm you now and include email address if that is easier.

Many Thanks

Simon

Could you post the pics on this thread, I'd also be interested in seeing them.

S.

Latest posts