Replacement - Middle sill with track for sliding door!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camperdan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury
Hi All,

Just about to attempt changing this on my RHD bus and a bit confused with a couple points :? :

1. How I should cut off the original one - i.e. where do I cut and how much of the top track do I need to leave on?
2. When I then weld on the new sill to the remains of the top track do I overlap them and seam-weld? If so do I tuck it inside or outside of the top track? Or do I butt-weld it!

If any of you have done this before and have any answers, advice help, tips or even better, photos? I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan

I have just started similar repair (see post below - Sill advice) but progress is hampered by family committments (two under 2's and a 'neglected' Mrs Stan) :roll:

I guess if you can post some pictures it will help - if the sill is not too bad it may be simpler to repair rather than replace the whole item which involves drilling out the spot welds (dozens of 'em !)

After some deliberation I have decided on the repair route since the lower track guide on mine is still quite solid. I have removed the outer sills (I had two one atop the other on my bus !) and cut out the worst of the middle and inner sillls. I have then taken the new inner sill and started to cut some repair sections from this to weld in place.

When I have got them about right I will decide on butt or overlap. Butt welding will avoid unecessary moisture traps but will be more demanding I think . I guess it depends on the final quality of repair you are looking for.

a) Pass MOT - relativley easy but mmay last 2-5 years

b) Repair by sectioning maybe last 10-20 years (I hope to achieve this)

c) Replace totally and reseal - last another 30 years ..

A lot of peole take option c) I think which is ideal if you have the time and skills but how long do you intend keeping the bus ?

Pictures will help for more advice.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the advice/reply.

I intend on keeping the bus pretty much indefinitely really. I've already owned it around 8 years and hope that the work I'm doing will keep it around for another 30! Therefore I really want to do the best repair that I can.

I've already bought all three parts and removed the complete inner and outer sills and the lower edge of the middle sill (below the track). I've found that my lower track is pretty solid to be honest and I am tempted to simply repair it but know that if I'm ever gonna replace the whole thing.... now is the time? However I'm just a tad scared to cut the lower track off only to find that I can't get the replacement to fit correct etc etc!

I'll post up some pictures shortly and you can all see for yourselves.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan

Sounds like we're at roughly the same stage. I have had my bus about 10 years but am only just getting brave enough to attack these problems. Also since I am congenitally mean I only bought the outer and the inner sills.

Well that's mostly the reason .. I did also read that the replacement middle/track guide sills do not 'curve' like the originals and can cause the door to stick and judder on closing/opening (no personal knowledge though). I searched all the forums and read various peoples comments over the past couple of weeks, trying to find a consensus but everbody has their own notion which is fair enough

One decision I also have to make myself is what to do at the C pillar..where the sill meets the rear out-rigger. there is quite some rot there too which may have to cut away somebodywork around the
lower front of teh rear wheel-arch behind the sill.. Ireckon I will post another pic later.

Not much use my comments, but at least you're not on your own..

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Yeah, I too have heard horror stories of doors not closing properly etc and that's why I'm worried.

I'm yet to take some pictures directly of the track/sill and hope to do this tomorrow evening, so will put them up soon. I have however taken some initial shots of the general condition of the nearside sils etc which I've posted at the end of my resto thread I've been updating in the Gallery forum area.... take a look?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1421

Also...... glad to know I'm not the only one facing this dilema!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

Having looked through your resto thread it seems that I'm more likely to need advice from you ! :oops:

The work done so far on your bus is awesome !

Back on the subject of the sill. Just in case you have not seen this before you could take a look here at another view..

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/sills/ns/ns.html

Cheers

James

Hi All,

Finally got round to taking some more pictures of the current condition of the sliding door track:

DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0575.jpg

DSCF0579.jpg

DSCF0581.jpg

The majority of the track is in good solid condition so at the moment my dilema is one of 2 options:
1. Just clean it all up and only patch in a new piece at the front, but with the risk of the rot returning?
or
2. Chop it all out and fit the full middle sill (with lower track) repair panel that is not the correct shape and looks like a bitch to fit, running the risk of the sliding door never 'sliding' as well as it should ever again

Considering the current ok'ish condition of the original track..... What would you guys do ?

I'd repair the current one as, like you said, the new one could be a bitch and will never be as good as the original!

One the repair is made and fully protected, plus with the grease on the inside of the track,
I don;t think you will have anything to worry about for many years :D

Thanks for your reply gninnam.

I'm glad you agree with my thoughts to repair the current one, as although I can't help but feel like I'd be cutting a corner - I do think that sometimes you can make things far worse by repairing something that just doesn't need fixing? Especially considering that the repair panels available for this piece are just so unlike the original?

Latest posts