Replacing Carb Spindle Bushes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ

Reaction score
I replaced the spindle bushes on my carb at the weekend and took a few photos so this is what happened
This was what I started with
Engine090509.jpg

This is what you get for your £10
NewBushes090509.jpg

First thing is to take off the air pipe to the air filter
AirPipe090509.jpg

Then disconnect the wires to the choke, fuel cut off and accelerator cable, you will need a stubby 13mm spanner to get at the rear nut. Take the dizzy cap off to give yourself a bit more room.
Manifold090509.jpg

Clamp the fuel line before you disconnect it and have something to catch any leaks in.
FuelLine090509.jpg

When you get the carb off put a rag in the hole just to stop anything falling in.
NoCarb090509.jpg

Before taking anything apart on the carb make sure you know which way round the butterfly is fitted
Butterfly090509.jpg

Remove the butterfly then the nuts either side of the spindle. The plastic bushes came out very easily I just hooked them out with a small screwdriver.
OldBushesSpindle090509.jpg

Both of the bushes were worn and split
I just cleaned up the spindle with some 1200 wet and dry before reassembly
Spindle090509.jpg

Then lubed the new bushes well and refitted them in to the carb body these went straight in but they might need a tap to get them in
Bushesfitted090509.jpg

The spindle needs to go back in (left to right) as it came out and then it is basically putting it back together as it came apart.
The carb will need setting up again as hopefully any leaking air will have stopped.
Once you get going it is very straight forward and it took as long to write this as to do the job :D

Leave the screws that hold the butterfly on loose then close the throttle, this centers the butterfly to the venture the nip up the screws.
I made the mistake of nipping the screws up without centering the plate. Fitted the carb and it was on a constant high tick over so had to take it back off, and do the above.

Very useful Nick, mine is leaking a bit of petrol through the bush and it is not idling at the moment.

Fingers crossed.

Jon

noddy said:
Leave the screws that hold the butterfly on loose then close the throttle, this centers the butterfly to the venture the nip up the screws.
I made the mistake of nipping the screws up without centering the plate. Fitted the carb and it was on a constant high tick over so had to take it back off, and do the above.
Good point Ian, I had to take mine apart as I had the the spindle in wrong way round, it looks like it shouldn't make any difference but it did, swapped it over and evrything went back ok.

aogrady said:
Hi!

Nick one Nick! BTW, a little bit of thread lock on the butterfly screws? Dont want the engine eating one?!

A lot easier than i thought it may have been.

Alistair
Hi Alistair, I don't think the screws would need it as they were both a fairly tight fit, I hope that's not "famous last words" though :lol: yes, it was a straight forward & easy to do job in the end.

worthy of a sticky. concise and nice clear pictures ;)

we may need a new section for the tech 'How-to's' soon

Been thinking that too Johnny, keeps them clean and easy to follow just need people to chip in with some write ups and story boards...

Johnny said:
worthy of a sticky. concise and nice clear pictures ;)

we may need a new section for the tech 'How-to's' soon
Cheers Johnny, my 1st sticky :oops: :D

Latest posts