Carb clean/rebuild?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been having trouble lately where my bus doesn't want to idle.
Also seems to be down on power.
Changed plugs, coil, fuel filter, drained fuel & put v-power in, also redex fuel cleaner in tank & straight down carbs.. Still no joy.
The big screw on the left carb, idle speed , is screwed all the way down.
Pertronix electronic ignition module.
So, I am thinking must be dirt in the carbs?
Anything else to try, do I need a rebuild kit, or just take apart & clean?
1700 tyoe 4 with IEM Solex PDSIT carbs.
Any advice gratefully received as I am no carb expert!
Thx.

What carbs do you run?
I had a similar problem with my twin !CT's. I took both off the car, removed the jets (one at a time) cleaned with brake cleaning fluid and blow through. I set the float level to 8mm and using the idle screw set the butterfly to just being able to put a 4 thou feeler gauge between it and the carb wall. Set the mixture screw to 2 turns out.
Carbs back on the car, leave the linkages off for now. remove the vacuum tube from the dizzy and block it off. start the car and screw the right hand carbs mix screws 1/4 turn at a time in until the engine starts to falter, then out until the best running is found, do the same for the other carb until again the best level is found (you may have to do this several times).
Next set the idle to 800\900 rpm using the same method but with the idle screws (a snail gauge is best for this).
Once this is done set the timing to between 28 and 32 deg using a strobe gun.

Sorry if you already know this but its what fixed my vans running issues.

Thx.. I got the standard OEM 32/34 PDSIT carbs.
Didn't really want yo start messing with the mixture too much as it ran lovely before thus issue started.
Is there a way I can just increase the idle speed without changing anything else, or is it not that simple?
The big screw on the top of the left carb (idle circuit?) Is screwed all the way down and there's no more adjustment.
Thx

Anyone done a carb overhaul with a rebuild kit.. is it relatively straightforward?

Latest posts