Replacing interior Laminate

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkish

Reaction score
Once i get my bus back with all the filler taken out and a new paint job and interior trim i want my interior cupboard re laminated / covered.

Can this be done, any one done it?

Recommendations, where do i get the laminate and can you get the edge trim still??

do a search someone did it on theyr bus latley

this is the closest you will get to the edge trim

all you need is here
http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/Campers-and-Caravans-Parts-online_trim_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZCampersQ20andQ20CaravansQ20PartsQ20onlineQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaselZ273983741QQsofpZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

04102007239.jpg

04102007240.jpg

We did ours 12 months ago, We are absolutely stoked with the finish

If you need any info on how I did it PM me.

We got the Laminate from a company in Exeter - called something like Laminate Supplies ;) their number is 01392 425544

As for trim, like hens teeth, we retained and reused what we already had (cleaned it off with fine steel wool) the had to bite the bullet and get 'best match' from a DIY store, I think it looks pretty good.

Balls!!! I ve just followed that ebay link, I need to get some of that!

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I removed all the old laminate and glue and sanded smooth (cos it'll show through the new laminate), then glued on to the original cabinets using Heavy Duty Solvent Adhesive (EvoStick).

I'm glad I've seen this thread cos I was planning on trying this at easter.

What did you find was the best way to remove the original laminate? Heat gun maybe?

I used a 'scraper/filling knife' and got under a corner and it comes away fairly easily, it is brittle and very sharp though, so mind those digits!

Thanks Buddysbuddy

Looks good too

Thats possibly the colour i'd go for too, how much did it cost you in total

If I'm honest I can't recall how much the laminate was, the only other expense was for the new westy cabinet handles, and a router.

And time, it took quite a while, but I reckon the more time invested helps with the final finish, it's so much brighter inside with the beech finish, but when you contact the laminate suppliers - their catalogue opens up an endless world of colour options!

Hope it goes well for you, when your done get some pics up! And if you need any tips while your doing it give me shout.

later

Jon

http://www.formica.co.uk/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home/collection/woodgrains.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone on volkszone had this link for laminates

Hi, I've never redone a camper interior, but re-done loads of formica in the past. The best way I've found for removing the old laminate is to work your way across with an old iron to heat up the glue and a scraper or big old chisel to scrape it off ( a word of warning though leaving the heat in one spot too long will cause the laminate to pop off in patches, firing bits into the air). Be careful not to dig into the plywood as well as it will need filling before you stick the new lainate on, or like buddysbuddy says, it will show through. Make sure you give it a good sand down first before sticking the glue on. Cut your laminate so it hangs over the edges, about 10mm all round ( if rounded corners are needed leave them square for now as they will easily trim off later). Apply Evo-stik contact adhesive to both the ply and the laminate, spreading a nice even layer across the full area you are sticking the laminate to (use a ridged spreader). Sticking the laminate together can be a pain, but another good tip is to lay some thin strips of wood across the panel (on top of the dry/tacky glue) and lay your laminate squarely in position on top of these strips. (Make sure there is nothing laying on the glue before laying the laminate on, as the smallest bit of crap will look like you've left a brick under it by the time its stuck down). Working from one side, remove the strips of wood one at a time, pressing the laminate down onto the ply as you go until you reach the otherside and they're all removed. This should ensure your laminate fits nice and square to the panel with no bubbles underneath. Once its all pressed down and your happy with it, trim the edge off with a laminate trimmer in a router. This can be done with a file but needs a bit of skill and can chip the edges if your not careful.
Hope that made some sense, its really not a hard job you just need to be patient and don't try to rush it.
Cheers..

Thanks for your comments i hope to have this done before the interior gets put back in the bus

Latest posts