Replacing panels, leaving in etched primer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveangel

Reaction score
Hi again. I will be replacing a couple of bits on my new camper (the front grille to start with, together with a new arch etc). The paint job is currently hand painted, so I will be sanding down. After someone has replaced the arch and any other bits, what's the correct sequence for prepairing for paint? Is it just etched primer, then paint? Ideally, I would like the do all the prepping, then pay someone to spray.

I assume I can't put etching primer over top of the paint that I rub down, so do I just use normal primer here?

Is it possible to actually leave the car in primer for a length of time (and drive it about)?

Thanks again.

Hey, you should get either an epoxy primer, so you can still use filler after the primer, or if there's no filler needed just use primer/surfacer.

Be sure to lightly dust black rattle can paint over the primer so you can sand it down evenly.

Read this article its well worth it, no messing to the point info.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps

Don't run your van in primer, its porous and won't keep the rust off. Slap on a cheap top coat as well. You need to prime first as its the primer that contains the rust inhibitors.

Etch primer is only really needed on bare steel but its not completely necessary.
If you intend to do all the body work as well you will need a high build primer but more importantly blocks, panel hammers, dollies etc etc
Applying the top coat really isn't that difficult the skill is in the preparation.

So I reckon your best bet is to do the repairs, whack on some zinc primer then a cheap rattle can topcoat and leave the prep to the bodyshop.
A lot of places will not accept part prepped vehicles. If you are looking to reduce costs you can strip as much as possible out of your vehicle before you deliver it for paint. Especially if you have access to a trailer etc you can take it as a rolling shell and this cuts down on a lot of the man hours you are paying for.

Latest posts