Restoring my '71 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an easy operation but we got the Avis beam adjusters on :)

October09278.jpg

She cried a bit.......

October09301.jpg

but she is looking cool .....

October09339.jpg

October09346.jpg

Another job off the list :D

I have even filmed her first trip down off the ramp smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhP8pJ8mAHQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of little fiddly bits to do at the mo so progress seems even slower,

November09239.jpg

November09240.jpg

November09244.jpg

Got the other rear corner done yesterday :D and the rear wheel arch :D

November09302.jpg

Just the sill to do now and she's pretty much welded woohoo! (small bit of chassis and the inner wheel arches)

Then hopefully get the interior painted, loom in and then the engine :D

look the indicator is working :D ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TY2GrbabY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

progressing well, the sand blaster looked like a fun job :p , look forward to seeing her all spangley and painted

retro said:
progressing well, the sand blaster looked like a fun job :p , look forward to seeing her all spangley and painted

Yeah it was great fun, except my husband didn't believe I had been working on my bus, he thought I had been to the beach all day :lol:

The reason its taking so long is my mate Nigel who does most of the clever stuff has his own little project......

November09315.jpg

It is apparently the only one in the country...... heres a pic from s few years back

November09320.jpg

anyone know what it is? :)

type2tattoo said:
retro said:

Yeah it was great fun, except my husband didn't believe I had been working on my bus, he thought I had been to the beach all day :lol:

The reason its taking so long is my mate Nigel who does most of the clever stuff has his own little project......

November09315.jpg

It is apparently the only one in the country...... heres a pic from s few years back

November09320.jpg

anyone know what it is? :)

yes ,very ugly... :D

bus is coming on well done... 8)

This was her in March....

March09178-1.jpg

and here she is today....

EbayNov09054.jpg

only got a couple of hours in today but the rear hatch got finished :D

from this....

EbayNov09060.jpg

via this.....

EbayNov09069.jpg

EbayNov09070.jpg

EbayNov09072.jpg

EbayNov09073.jpg

to this...

EbayNov09074.jpg

Thats not all I've done recently though, been sorting through sooo many parts and putting some on ebay to go towards funding the next bit, polished up the westy louvre, taken 2 wheels and the tin wear to be powder coated, also varnished my rusty old trunk and dismantled the roof rack for more powder coating.

Got it all back from the powder coaters yesterday, its like Christmas :D looks so good :)

And I don't seem to spend more than half an hour not thinking or talking about her :D

Got some more of the fiddly little patches done :)
EbayNov09109.jpg

EbayNov09115.jpg

and the engine bay is back as it should be after cutting some more bits off the donor

EbayNov09113.jpg

EbayNov09114.jpg

EbayNov09117.jpg

EbayNov09116.jpg

December09041.jpg

December09076.jpg

Nigel was ill last week so nothing got done and the engine was in the front room for C hristmas......

December09024.jpg

:D

The weather doesn't really inspire you to fiddle about with cold metal but still plodding away at it :D

January10095.jpg

I am really itching to get on with it but the weather is also not good for paint so it will be a while yet, I keep myself amused selling bits on ebay to buy other bits on ebay lol

and despite a horrible cold, we got some more done today....

Got the rear wheels off to send to the powder coaters, all looks very seized up and rusted....

January10177.jpg

I have the new wheel drums and really wanted to put them on to make her look better but Must concentrate on the welding!..........

January10183.jpg

ran out of finishing discs but got this bit done

January10187.jpg

and 3 out riggers in :)

January10191.jpg

January10192.jpg

Nigels son Jay, who's 17 practiced a bit of welding............

January10180.jpg

not bad for his 2nd go :)

I must stop cleaning with the wire brush, found another hole in the rear :0

January10194.jpg

Thanks Gnininm .....how do you say that lol

Bit more today :) Got a first coat of zinc primer on after rubbing down rust all day, cutting my hands and generally getting fed up with bloody rust <_< no welding though, its taking forever

February10115.jpg

February10119.jpg

Cheers Mark :)

I was at it today from 8am till 6pm cleaning and treating the front beam, also got a second coat of zinc on the rear :) I was so into it I forgot before photos but got some from half way through...

February10134.jpg

treated with anti rust stuff...
February10155.jpg

Will be putting on the zinc primer tomorrow :)

lots and lots of small bits here and there are its coming on well. i was surprised at the before pictures, good work so far!

How surprised Johnny? Like 'Jeez you gotta be mad to think about restoring that' lol

Its only taken a year of about 5 hours a week but the people who used to come by the garage and say 'scrap it' are now saying 'Thats looking more solid' :D

There is a long way to go but its a matter of principle to me (long story) and I have also had her longer than some of my kids and I wouldnt scrap them ..... well sometimes :lol:

type2tattoo said:
How surprised Johnny? Like 'Jeez you gotta be mad to think about restoring that' lol:

pretty much the nail on the head. so very well done.

Latest posts