Restoring wood

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaosnjleach

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just bought a 68 Devon pop top. It's got the original interior but needs some tlc . Any ideas on bringing some life back into the wood? A light sand and new coat of oil or varnish. ? Thanks

Jason......Sent from my iPhone

Depending on how bad the finish is, you could strip down the finish with a varnish/paint stripper. Then clean down with white spirits, lightly sand with - 240 then a 400 grit sand paper. Then apply your preferred finish depending on whether you want a waterproof finish or not ( I have use Yacht Varnish before and Ronseal), de-burr ( sand down with 400 grit) after it has dried so as to remove the bits of grain that will stand up after the first coat. Then give another now or two coats. Do attest sample on another bit of wood to establish the finish you want first.

Spent a lot of time doing my '69 Devon (pics in my gallery) had to replace a few panels too as the veneer had delaminated. Most of the wood scrubbed up pretty good, just time and effort with sanding and varnishing. Have fun :)

Latest posts