RHD Westy - Back home at last

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotswoldiver

Reaction score
Picked up from East Sussex yesterday and drove straight back to the Cotswolds without any problems at all. It was a private sale and I think I have struck pretty lucky. Its a 71 from SA, still in original paint and a part from a couple of minor dents which I hope may be able to get sorted without having to respray- is in amazing condition. Even has owners handbook with original handwritten notes on early service details. All the interior is there,original flooring as well.All curtains in place, and chrome on mirrors is amazing. I've attached some photos just to show some of the detail - more to follow as I get sorted, just changed the number plates today - and its going to be staying stock

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/cotswoldiver/IMG_0519.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0525.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0525.jpg

result david :wink:
welcome to the SO67R club...after our conversations i assume you know that you own one of only approx 1000 rhd earlybay westys in the world fullstop :)

Thanks Scott
First impressions are good ones, but like anything that's 38 years old its seen a bit of life and well cared for - living with it on a few trips will sort out the priorities.
I'm forwarding you an e-mail on a bit of progress we are making on finding you an alternative source for shipping from SA

David
scott wilson said:
result david :wink:
welcome to the SO67R club...after our conversations i assume you know that you own one of only approx 1000 rhd earlybay westys in the world fullstop :)

cotswoldiver said:
Thanks Easy
Thought I might give your guys in Interpro a call to discuss costs on having it set up properly from the start

easy said:
Sweet bus 8)

Now worries dood 8)
Give them a call chap, and just drop in my name (Ez from the old volks club) and they will do you proud :wink:

Already planned are trips to Bus Types in April, popping down to Cornwall for the earlybay gathering that Scott is sorting In June, and Weston Park in July and although not a VW gathering we will be in Lulworth with the family for Camp Bestival in July. Hope to see you at one of those

Fortunate Son said:
Wow! would love to see it "in the flesh". Do you have any plans to attend any shows this year??

Yep, I think its Mango Green as well - look forward to doing some more 'digging'. The double buddy seat appears to have a few bits and bobs wrapped in newspaper including touch up paint, bulbs and a bit of metal!
Danbury Doug said:
Lovely bus!

Looks like the same colour as 61Stu's SA bus (Mango Green?). Nice colour. :D

I saw this bus at the weekend and had a good nose around. I then called my mate to come and see as it was sooo nice!
Its possibly the nicest OG early bay Westy Ive ever seen, so complete and correct - curtains, floor, unused cot beds, perfect roof canvas and mint galv roof bars and luggage hooks etc.
The seats and rubbers are like new with none of the usual hot climate uv damage.
Its certainly concourse standard, easily magazine feature standard and a real head turner at events .... plus being a very useable camper!

David - youve had a right result, you couldnt stop grinning, and nor could we! Superb!! :)

PS - Please - no mods at all! And Im not one to say that lightly!! :party0009:

Thanks for the kind words Mike and great to meet you
Promise no mods, but promise to use as well

Clem said:
I saw this bus at the weekend and had a good nose around. I then called my mate to come and see as it was sooo nice!
Its possibly the nicest OG early bay Westy Ive ever seen, so complete and correct - curtains, floor, unused cot beds, perfect roof canvas and mint galv roof bars and luggage hooks etc.
The seats and rubbers are like new with none of the usual hot climate uv damage.
Its certainly concourse standard, easily magazine feature standard and a real head turner at events .... plus being a very useable camper!

David - youve had a right result, you couldnt stop grinning, and nor could we! Superb!! :)

PS - Please - no mods at all! And Im not one to say that lightly!! :party0009:

OK, picked up from the workshop this week having had the guys at Vanshack cast their eyes over her, full service and change over to electronic ignition, change the fuel lines and sort out the non-working fuel gauge. As half expected it ended up having the engine out 'cause as you can imagine I didn't want a hole cut above the fuel tank. Still smiling for the overall condition of the bus - but ouch that labour bill hurt, but Vanshack do take a real interest in the VW's they look after - that weekend workshop really can't come fast enough for me to be able to carry out some basics.

The few people that have seen the bus all spot different things about the originality - vanshack for example spotted that the piece to stop the accelerator pedal touching the floor was still there, Clem that the rack on the roof is still in galvanised finished not painted - me I'm just really pleased that so much has survived and even the little dents have their own story to tell

I've added a few more pictures to complete the picture, now really looking forward to taking her out on the road and using her for what she was intended
3376722464_54d544c3ca_m.jpg

3375895479_dd348eabff_m.jpg

3376699916_8d8064e04e_m.jpg

3375885863_19baf54280_m.jpg

3375901943_6749b06fdd_m.jpg

3375908447_621217c9ab_m.jpg

3375891233_85840a8d41_m.jpg

3376703710_33201e3b45_m.jpg

3376705574_e8e8b42a79_m.jpg

3375897835_0d07549bf5_m.jpg

Latest posts