Rocker shaft bolts very short..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had some work done last year, my mechanic said that the nylock nuts that were on the rocker shaft bolts were only on by a couple of threads into the nylock bit and I should look at changing the bolts for longer ones. I have fairly new Heritage 1776 so I it could have come like this, or maybe the PO put some different rockers on - I think they are 1:1.4 or maybe 1:1.25. Anyway it drives very well. I did some Google searches, but nothing about this turned up.

Has anyone seen this issue before?
Where should I be looking for new bolts?

I'll have more exact info next week when I take it in.

Cheers

What cam does it have? I highly doubt it will have 1.4:1 rockers on a mild 1776, 1.4’s are generally used on highly strung engines with big cams. Are the ends of the studs flush with the edge of the nut?

If it has ratio rockers it will have shims under rocker posts to correct geometry,that can make studs a bit short.

megaaircooled said:
If it has ratio rockers it will have shims under rocker posts to correct geometry,that can make studs a bit short.

Ah right that makes sense. Would it be OK to loosen the thread that goes into the head to expose more thread rocker-side? Or should I look for longer bolts?

There is plenty of thread so you can unscrew rocker studs a few mm,or you can fit longer studs,rule of thumb a thread is as strong at 1.5 dia deep

Latest posts