Rocky the Campmobile ....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went through all 10 pages... Mad I didn't follow from the beginning!

Fantastic job! Enjoy that beauty!

Thanks , I will post up some more pics of the heater install shortly and the custom-made fuel tank

Well we have been away enjoying the van for a while, the high pint of this year was a top ten in the show and shine at Brighton Breeze, but something will always come along and put a crimp in your day!. Over the last 18 months I have become increasingly worried about what’s going on inside of the engine case. Mainly because it’s always been so very noisy, and coupled with the fact that this was one of the last engines to be assembled by Richard Trent of Airspeed.
After this year’s problems with the inlet manifolds rattling loose after the run up to Aircooled 14 .So before its goes bang and destroys a newish case and internals I have decided to give the motor to someone who does know what he is doing, Dan Simpson.

Here are some pictures of today’s tear down.

All striped and cleaned ready for Dan to work his magic!

Are you tempted to go bigger Pete, Dan can have these machined so cheap, and it's being pulled apart anyway, I'd be tempted.....

Whoop whoop! In hindsight I should have gone bigger, my last 2 bays have had type 4 lumps and I miss that grunt. I think I'll plod on with my little lump for next year and then have something built over the winter. 2110 is a nice round number.....

Well that's the spec confirmed after the tear down on our original 1776 airspeed engine it's interesting to find out what exactly was going on inside it.

Cheap cast intervals don't make for a smooth running unit, pick up on most of the cam bearings and cheap ally main bearings and a nasty flywheel, all unbalanced, so it's out with the old and in with the new and up to 1903 cc we go.

Can't wait t get it back in and tinned with the dells that. Have waiting to go on to the new improved motor.

First outing should be Ninove

:D

Hi toffo24
We met at dans place last Saturday, he was kindly relieving me of my hard earned on one of his super flo mufflers, I remembered you said your bus was brilliant blue and what a cool bus it looks to
Just thought I would put yup up a pic of my 72 changeover, my 2270 is now up and running sounding sweet with the new muffler, don't think the neighbours are very happy as parked outside there bedroom window
Just sorting out my photo bucket account, pics up soon

Ok update time been, it's been very hectic at Helga VW HQ . Here are some pics to show you how we have got on.

And back out on the road again

Happy days

Update time for the Rockster
6f74e960b777635a8f1b500ffc51df4b.jpg
b1a67f0bd3f7267aa828df7e56edf526.jpg
4a3aa16f997a4cdd08a2f2dc70d533c2.jpg
04be871668dca2345dc9795ef03fa0b4.jpg
81b9d5197c23df4bd6eaf2d8389a9040.jpg
8ec79c6a695e2c361f537bb9e0d6ade7.jpg
f90d28440814fffc5e0faaaee7db9596.jpg

Had a great time over the last year , filled with some teething issues but had the best time with all of our VW friends...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did Andy , Ninove , Volksworld , aircooled and Ebi ( just the best). Hope to catch up with you soon fella!

Latest posts