rolling road in the north?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMC

Reaction score
Anybody know of a good rolling road place in the north - near Leeds ideally?

What carbs do you have fitted. If its DRLA's or IDF's I have spare jets and a LM1 to tune your van on the road. Can you get to Doncaster ?

Hi - I've got dual weber 34 ict's...excuse my poor knowledge but whats an LM1? ta

LM1 by Innovate Motorsports - wide band lamda sensor which displays digital Air fuel ratio on a hand held console. No guess work.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I bolt my silncer on your van (you need a 4 into 1 head with triangle style 3 bolt fitting), fit the lamda and you drive. Then I make the jet changes.. Youd need to drive light throttle at different speeds, half throttle and some full throttle running (motorway slip roads are best).

Some people fetch motors which havent been run in and i just set the light and half throttle jetting. Then adjust the airs when they come back with some miles on the motor and they can stick there boot down.

I don't have spare jets for ICT's
I take it the carbs are on and balanced ? no air leaks etc.

Sounds cool - thanks for that. Shame you don't have the ict jets.

The carbs are on and working. The guy who did it for me did a great job but did say to get the best performance I need a rolling road. They seem to run well - a bit of a cough and splutter when they are cold but generally good. They've been on a few weeks and feel a bit different to when they first went on - coasting seem to make it pop a bit.

The one odd thing thats happening is a trickling sound coming from the carb when the engine is switched off after a run - its really hard to describe the sound...wasn't sure whether it was a build of air pressure?? Any clues?

re spluttering when cold, thats generally a good sign. It suggests the idles are providing about the right mixture. Im assuming the cabrs dont use the manual cold start chokes. Therefore if your idle jets are close to being correct it should splutter a bit when cold as the mixture will be a bit lean. As soon as the engine warms up the mixture is correct and the spluttering goes.

Popping when slowing down could be an tiny air leak, or running slightly lean or rich. Is the popping coming from the exhaust or carbs ?

Trickling sound isnt good. It could be too things i can think of right now. One the engine is that hot after a run that its boiling the fuel in the bowls. Or 2nd the floats are not set correct or you have a bit of dirt in your fuel cut off valve.

Too hot an engine, hold your dipstick if it burn your fingers its running too hot and could be boiling the fuel.

RE floats or fuel cut off. run the engine at idle, get someone to shut it off. Get it to make the trickling sounds. Have the air filters off ready. Hold a mirror above the carb and position it so you can see down the barrel. You may need a torch. Can you see fuel tricking into the carbs after the engine is switched off? if so its your float height, dirt in the fuel cut of valve or a damaged float.

If the trickling sound is fuel leaking down the barrel this could be causing the poppping at low speeds if its popping out the exhaust.

You need to fix the trickling before you get it rolling roaded.

Hope this helps
Cheers Mick

MMMC said:
Sounds cool - thanks for that. Shame you don't have the ict jets.

The carbs are on and working. The guy who did it for me did a great job but did say to get the best performance I need a rolling road. They seem to run well - a bit of a cough and splutter when they are cold but generally good. They've been on a few weeks and feel a bit different to when they first went on - coasting seem to make it pop a bit.

The one odd thing thats happening is a trickling sound coming from the carb when the engine is switched off after a run - its really hard to describe the sound...wasn't sure whether it was a build of air pressure?? Any clues?

Thanks Mick - The popping is coming from the exhaust so I'll get looking this weekend at the items you mention. Thanks for taking the time to give me some help. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers MC

No worries.

If you sort the trickling sort of noise the popping may just go away as well.

If the popping is still there afterwards check the exhaust for slight air leaks as well as the carbs/manifolds.

If its not from air leaks its possible its running rich and unburnt fuel is inginiting in the exhaust. A rolling road session will sort this.

Good luck :)

Cheers
Mick

MMMC said:
Thanks Mick - The popping is coming from the exhaust so I'll get looking this weekend at the items you mention. Thanks for taking the time to give me some help. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers MC

I can recommend a guy in Bradford who is fantastic.

He balanced my carbs for me (running twins), full clean out and set up.

If you want pm me.

Or well lane turbos in Batley have a rolling road.

Latest posts