Roof replacement / windows....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
Making plans / saving up etc, to do a complete roof replacement. My pop top roof is shot, so will be selling the pop top, & replacing with a total tin top cut. Thing is, how much trouble am I going to have with window differences...? Believe mine is a conversion, so, if I can only find a roof from an original camper, will I be able to make a suitable window join...?

Hi there,,, I`m in the middle of doing the same. I`ve removed the roof complete by drilling out the spots, somewhere between one and a half to two zillion spot welds. Plonked the new / 2nd hand one back on and welded down. Rebuilt all the top sub frame / sections at the same time. Took the windows out to the waist line and put genuine in, approx one point two zillion welds, about to start on the nearside. So at the moment I`m panel "converto" one side and og the other. Also need to change the slider for an og one which is ready to go on. Not a tricky job but very time consuming and need the patience of a saint when sorting out the new welds in the gutter as it`s a bit of a mare to grind down the welds to a decent standard. I still will be going with a pop top though and am in the middle of inventing a new one as I don`t like the two that i have. But give me a bell if you want to chat, and if you are ever up my way, pop in and have a look. It`s not for the faint hearted and you need to be reasonable with a mig. All that said, if you got tin worms in your gutters, I think it`s the only way to go.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, 8) :? 8)

023.jpg

028.jpg

041-1.jpg

009.jpg

Hope this helps,,,,,,,,,, :D

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, 07723 069 937,,,,,,, only if you`re bored,,, cause you will be !! :lol: ;) :lol:

Excellent reply, thanks. Mine is rotten all around the gutters, & roughly 4" downwards inside & out, hence the complete chop...! Looking at roof cuts that have come up for sale, would be lucky to get more than 2" of each pillar. Not thought about replacing the sides as well. You've opened up a whole new tin of worms...!!! :) You could well be getting some very long phone calls when I start! Many thanks. Steve.

Excellent reply, thanks. Mine is rotten all around the gutters, & roughly 4" downwards inside & out, hence the complete chop...! Looking at roof cuts that have come up for sale, would be lucky to get more than 2" of each pillar. Not thought about replacing the sides as well. You've opened up a whole new tin of worms...!!! :) You could well be getting some very long phone calls when I start! Many thanks. Steve.

And I just thought you`d gotten all excited because some twat was doing the same as you,, :lol:
I reckon you must be bonkers, as your name is Steve !! :lol:
Where in sunny England are you anyhow ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, AKA Ozzie,, AKA Oz,, AKA Dog,, AKA Steve, but just my mum and the Mrs,,, :lol: 8) :lol:

I'm down in sunny Cornwall. Suppose I could just hijack the many campers that come to grief on the A30 in the summer time...!! :)

I do hope that you are not insinuating that old VWs actually break down,,, :shock:
Might be a good source of spares though, :roll:
I could do with a window cut if you see one, :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Off down the garage now :D :shock: :D (don`t be worried about giving me a ring), (apart from the phone bills,,) :lol: 8) :lol:

Latest posts