Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch - that rust does look horrible but hope you have caught it early enough.
What's up with the fuel tank?

There is a patch of floor that's also suffered that's a bit close to the tank so thought it sensible.

Good on you for posting what too much insulation can do. Condensation will always find the coldest parts of the van and the outside metal panels will always be top of the list.

Some light, non absorbent insulation, with no plastic barrier is IMO the best compromise behind the ply panels. Any damp can then evaporate more easily to be vented away.

Cab doors is a different story the vapour barrier there is important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ah, wait... confirmation bias has set in.
The rot is not caused by this insulation set up!

Check the picture of the opposite side that had the same set up. No [severe] rust there at all.
This has been in place longer than I've owned the bus, so at least 7 years

I had forgotten that the outer-skin of the window repair has a hole in it, allowing water ingress.

Ok I see what you mean. I still think too much insulation is a bad thing though for campervans where people are sleeping in them etc.
Do you intend to re-install that insulation ?
Good luck with the repairs any way [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I probably will replace with something similar, but not before giving the inside a seriously good sealing first.

I agree it can be bad to sleep in for some, but because it is much warmer with the insulation we pretty much always sleep with something open, which keeps ventilation up and condensation down!

At home I always sleep with a window open, no matter the temperature. It's one of the reasons I hate staying in hotels (in The Before Times). I would rather have fresh air and sleep under an extra blanket than be all cooped up

:msn4:

L8GV2u2.jpg

Looks like the circlip gave up and the rocker shook itself off.

Looks like I have been pretty lucky, too be honest.

Push rod looks nice and straight. The rocker arm has cut in to the sealing face of the head a bit, but I think after a quick file the head is going to be fine.

Morning George

Was the circlip still in under the rocker cover as might be worth checking it hasnt done anymore damage if its been bouncing around in there.also wheres the other adjuster??

The circlip (at least 2 pieces), washer, the other adjuster and nut were all still in there.

I still need to drop the oil to check for any metal, but I don't have a container to catch it all in 😅

Keeping fingers crossed that the damage is container in the cylinder head and I don't have to split the case.

I hate clip style rocker shafts, even on stock engines I use bolt up shafts for piece of mind and reliability.

As Graham said have a good look round for any signs of damage elsewhere.

Jeez George - sorry about your bad luck and fingers crossed you are luck with were the bits of metal have ended.

Latest posts