Rubbish headlights...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humphrey

Reaction score
Anyone had success getting better light by upgrading to ultra white H4 bulbs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its only ever going to be worth it if all your connections are the best they can be. First start by cleaning all the ground points related to the headlights, clean the ground strap for the battery too.
Then clean up the connectors on the fuse that powers the headlight relay and all the ones on the relay itself.

That way your reducing the voltage drop to the lights which will most likely be your main problem.

You could look into fitting extra relays but I can't see the advantage to that as the lights already run off a relay.

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

Hi
I can see how fitting addition relays will help they are just a means of switching a load that a normal switch can't handle :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Been running more powerful headlamp bulbs for around 20 years now. Works fine, no problems.

my MoT man said I could fit H4 75/75W bulbs into the stock Bosch units and still be legal provided there is the correct pattern in the beam and the cut off line for the dipped lights is sharp and accurate. The 100/80W lamps would apparently not be legal for road use...
cheers
Rob

rlepecha said:
Its only ever going to be worth it if all your connections are the best they can be. First start by cleaning all the ground points related to the headlights, clean the ground strap for the battery too.
Then clean up the connectors on the fuse that powers the headlight relay and all the ones on the relay itself.

That way your reducing the voltage drop to the lights which will most likely be your main problem.

You could look into fitting extra relays but I can't see the advantage to that as the lights already run off a relay.

Yes good call chap but in my case all wiring, fuse box and relays are new. I also have new lenses and reflectors and (standard) H4 bulbs....the lights are still rubbish lol.

Trikky2 said:
Been running more powerful headlamp bulbs for around 20 years now. Works fine, no problems.
thanks tricky, do you know what type and wattage they are?

robjarman said:
my MoT man said I could fit H4 75/75W bulbs into the stock Bosch units and still be legal provided there is the correct pattern in the beam and the cut off line for the dipped lights is sharp and accurate. The 100/80W lamps would apparently not be legal for road use...
cheers
Rob

Thanks Rob, doesn't the / apply to the low / high beam split? Why would they be the same? I'll have to do some more research I think.

yes 75/75W = high 75, low 75 cf. standard 60 high, 55 low - my lighting problem was that the dip beam did not give enough illumination to be safe, so upping the dip beam to 75W really helps and is still not that bright to dazzle other road users - and the 75W on high beam also helps throw the beam further along the road...
I find the new lamps on new cars with their ultra-brights really impossible to see past when they are coming at you, even on dip beam...aka grumpy old man speak!!
cheers
Rob

Humphrey said:
Trikky2 said:
thanks tricky, do you know what type and wattage they are?

They were sold as "road/rally" from the French equivalent of halfords and are Halogen 65/75 I think or possibly 70/80 - it was a while ago lol.

Even if you keep the same nominal wattage, the improvement from ordinary filament bulbs to halogens is worthwhile.

Wattage is the nominal current consumption and halogens give more lumens for the same current.

Certainly made a worthwhile improvement since the stock lights were never much good even when they were in current production IMO.

rlepecha said:

martin.sim said:
Hi
I can see how fitting addition relays will help they are just a means of switching a load that a normal switch can't handle :)

The reason for adding relays is to reduce the number of voltage-dropping connections such as switches. These articles give some good background. I did this to mine a couple of years ago with good results, sounds like adding some halogen bulbs as well might complete the job :D

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.keithandsylvia.co.uk/tech%20pages/hlamp_wiring_upgrade.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A5H said:
rlepecha said:

martin.sim said:
Hi

The reason for adding relays is to reduce the number of voltage-dropping connections such as switches. These articles give some good background. I did this to mine a couple of years ago with good results, sounds like adding some halogen bulbs as well might complete the job :D

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.keithandsylvia.co.uk/tech%20pages/hlamp_wiring_upgrade.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like he's already using H4 bulbs though.

higher wattage is possible but I wouldnt recommend it, your just going to dazzle other drivers more..
Get some Phillips xtreme visions, they're standard wattage but 180%(I think) the power of a standard H4. At least then you've got some really good bulbs with a sharp cut off but extra range too.

They are £22 a pair though....

rlepecha said:
A5H said:
rlepecha said:

martin.sim said:
Hi

Sounds like he's already using H4 bulbs though.

higher wattage is possible but I wouldnt recommend it, your just going to dazzle other drivers more..
Get some Phillips xtreme visions, they're standard wattage but 180%(I think) the power of a standard H4. At least then you've got some really good bulbs with a sharp cut off but extra range too.

They are £22 a pair though....

Thanks for the good information everyone. You are right, I've already got H4 bulbs, new wiring and the headlamp circuit has it's own relay already. The issue I've got like one of the posts above is the dip/low beams, there just isn't enough light produced...the high beams are actually fine. I'll give those Phillips bulbs a try...£22 is cheap if it sorts the problem.

Latest posts