Rusted exhaust studs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

any advice on how to sort some badly stuck/rusted exhaust studs? i'm soaking them at the moment and will try some heat tomorrow but anyone encountered the same problem and what did you do??

My heater boxes are rotten and i have some nice shiny new ones to go on.

A trick that my mechanic taught me was to weld a bolt on top that way you get the heat there and a decent head to wind it out

Are you binning the complete hear exchangers? If so could you slice through the J tubes close to the stids - saw or thin cutting disc.
This will give you good access with socket etc.
I would try & remove the whole studs by adding another nut as a lock nut & then applying force to the original nut.

A little heat & lots of penetrating oil.

Phil.

RePhil said:
Are you binning the complete hear exchangers? If so could you slice through the J tubes close to the stids - saw or thin cutting disc.
This will give you good access with socket etc.
I would try & remove the whole studs by adding another nut as a lock nut & then applying force to the original nut.

A little heat & lots of penetrating oil.

Phil.

yeah the exchangers are swiss cheese. I need the engine for a wedding on friday so didnt want to take the risk if the studs snap. I want to keep the studs and fit new exchangers but looks most likely removal and replacement would be best just incase they snap. what direction for stud removal clockwise/anticlockwise?

I have the engine out and replaced the fwheel seal so though i might as well do this too.

Anti clockwise to remove. If whole stud comes out no problem as you can then attack it in the vice to remove nut if you need to re-use.

I cringe when I hear this but- Lefty loosey, Righty tighty!!!

Phil.

The only good way have found is to do as madjack says. I take any heads with broken or damaged studs to local blacksmith and he welds nut or bolt to studs and heat from welder makes them easy to remove.
Robert

I had a few exhaust studs snap off in line with the cylinder heads when trying to remover them. My solution was the centre punch them and use a 3mm drill to pilot them, then move up in size until you can get a stud extractor (left hand thread screw) to bite. If that will not work ( mine didn't) I drilled the remainder out until it was just the thread section left and re tapped them. Used thread lock on the new studs. If you balls it up you can get replacement studs with a thicker (8mm? ) end and drill and tap for that.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts