School me on dormobiles...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing this myself at the moment (slowly) - the "joggled" step flange is the same all the way down but it kind of kicks in after it passes the radiused section and heads down to the step - A few pics to explain it better -

HTH

Cheers

Andy

Andy that's perfect mate. Just what I've been after. Thanks for pics. Can I ask what tooling you used? I've only the basic tools, and a hand flange tool.

Are you forming the lip with that wood and hammer in pic?

How many sections did you do it in?

I'd like to see the cab floor section once your done as well if possible.

Cheers

Ross

Ross, that's the original edge on mine, I have just welded up the holes where I drilled out the spot welds to remove the original arch. Had a bit of a nightmare on the radiused section where I ground through the stepped edge (the metal is very thin in places on the original factory pressing). I ended up welding a new piece in left over from the OG arch cut that I am using. Just needs tidying up now but I am going to take it very very steady with the finger sander this time or may just hand sand.

Can take more pics for you or pop in for a coffee if your ever passing

Cheers

Andy

Fortunate Son said:
Ross, that's the original edge on mine, I have just welded up the holes where I drilled out the spot welds to remove the original arch. Had a bit of a nightmare on the radiused section where I ground through the stepped edge (the metal is very thin in places on the original factory pressing). I ended up welding a new piece in left over from the OG arch cut that I am using. Just needs tidying up now but I am going to take it very very steady with the finger sander this time or may just hand sand.

Can take more pics for you or pop in for a coffee if your ever passing

Cheers

Andy[/quote

I'm a jealous man Andy, I need to make the complete edge up.
Was thinking of asking about and maybe getting a one metre strip made up, as I have not got the tooling at home to do so.
Could you acquire a pic of the cab floor section of edging. That would be handy.
This is where I stand at the moment.

image_zpstjgu8xxl.jpeg

Can I get a definitive answer from somebody please.

There is what appears to be an original looking dash light switch to the right of the steering column. It doesn't do anything in my bus. Doesn't appear to be connected, it just spins.
It has been suggested that it may of been to control the courtesy lights within the rear (micro bus option maybe?)

Anyone got any info on this please.

There is/ was a 'master' light switch on the dash - certainly is on mine - it overrides whatever position the interior lights are on in the back to 'off' - it's not that is it? Try an interior light, leave it on, then try pulling that one in and out.

If it is that, I think it is a hangover from the microbus base vehicle, so that as you're driving round dropping people off at night you can operate the interior lights from the driving seat..

Oh...it doesn't do anything as yet. But if that's the case I may well think about trying to wire some sort of courtesy light up within the bus from it.

Looks like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vw+bay+window+interior+light+switch&safe=active&biw=1267&bih=779&tbm=isch&imgil=QfWDGtt5zmvW_M%253A%253B5KDAffJn7R86pM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fjogrusa.com%25252Fproducts%25252Foriginal-68-74-bay-window-interior-light-switch-111955511b&source=iu&pf=m&fir=QfWDGtt5zmvW_M%253A%252C5KDAffJn7R86pM%252C_&usg=__3YwKiLOpvlIDaey3TIkr64CYVBw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj_ieCXyKLPAhUKJcAKHWHNClkQyjcIKg&ei=RZfjV7_THYrKgAbhmqvIBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dickie524 said:
Looks like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vw+bay+window+interior+light+switch&safe=active&biw=1267&bih=779&tbm=isch&imgil=QfWDGtt5zmvW_M%253A%253B5KDAffJn7R86pM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fjogrusa.com%25252Fproducts%25252Foriginal-68-74-bay-window-interior-light-switch-111955511b&source=iu&pf=m&fir=QfWDGtt5zmvW_M%253A%252C5KDAffJn7R86pM%252C_&usg=__3YwKiLOpvlIDaey3TIkr64CYVBw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj_ieCXyKLPAhUKJcAKHWHNClkQyjcIKg&ei=RZfjV7_THYrKgAbhmqvIBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep that's the one.

Hello mate
Your more than welcome to have a a look at my bus it's Dormobile all intact all the bits and bobs are complete table legs buddy seats wind breaker thing for cooker etc etc and I am local to you pm me and I give you my moby cheers

Jimbo

jimbo4861 said:
Hello mate
Your more than welcome to have a a look at my bus it's Dormobile all intact all the bits and bobs are complete table legs buddy seats wind breaker thing for cooker etc etc and I am local to you pm me and I give you my moby cheers

Jimbo

Thanks Jim.

I've got the gap measurement now mate. I'll PM you me number though.

This might not help, but it's the same cross-section as the table-rail, if you can get one, and cut it down. They are similarly tricky to get hold of though!

Dickie524 said:
This might not help, but it's the same cross-section as the table-rail, if you can get one, and cut it down. They are similarly tricky to get hold of though!

Cheers I'll have a look about..

Has anyone had any experience with sill replacement?
I am currently removing all the sills on the left hand side (sliding door) in readiness for their replacements. Apparently I will need to graft the top section of the exsisting middle sill on to the new panel (the rolled section of the top of the door track)
Has anyone dealt with this repair and suggest a best practice to adopt in doing so.

Cheers

Latest posts