School me on dormobiles...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehighchairpoet

Reaction score
So I've just picked up a 70 dormobile, yay. Lots of welding to be done, but we've all been there right. It's hit me now, I know nothing about buses. Beetles I can work my way round all day long, but my knowledge is non existent on buses.
Done a few searches on here with questions but ain't really found what I'm after.

So I've got some repairs to make to the bottom 6" of both cab doors outer skins. Is it correct that no one makes a repair panel, only a complete outer skin is available?
This is gonna be fun otherwise as I've got the bottom hinge corner to make.

Regarding the sink. Would the original style pump to get the water to the sink been a foot pump I have seen. Are they available? if so who from? And where would they fit?

I'm assuming I am missing a piece of furniture going by some pictures I have seen of dormobiles that is situated behind the passengers seat (the wardrobe). Does this have a buddy seat on the front of them in the dormobiles? And any suggestions where could I find one (wardrobe and seat)

Is there usually any head room storage to be found towards the rear of the bus?

Original cool box by what I have read is as rare as rocking horse shit. Would love one.
Apart from a 'modern' fridge conversion/install, are there any other cool box options available that others have done using the existing cool box cupboard?

I have no openable quarter light in the n/s dab door is this the norm?

I'm sure there's plenty of other questions that will come to me, but I've got plenty to get on with for now. Hope some peeps can answer for me.

Chees

Hi,

Firstly, congrats on buying a Dormobile, easily the best and prettiest conversion going. A few answers to your questions below:

Thehighchairpoet said:
So I've just picked up a 70 dormobile, yay. Lots of welding to be done, but we've all been there right. It's hit me now, I know nothing about buses. Beetles I can work my way round all day long, but my knowledge is non existent on buses.
Done a few searches on here with questions but ain't really found what I'm after.

So I've got some repairs to make to the bottom 6" of both cab doors outer skins. Is it correct that no one makes a repair panel, only a complete outer skin is available?
This is gonna be fun otherwise as I've got the bottom hinge corner to make.

I believe Schofields do the panels you are after, I've had panels off him for years and always been happy with the quality and fit. Personally, I avoid JK and Heritage for panels, been burnt there in the past. If you can't get exactly what you are could always cut the full skin down.

Regarding the sink. Would the original style pump to get the water to the sink been a foot pump I have seen. Are they available? if so who from? And where would they fit?

There was a foot-operated pump fitted originally, the pump was fitted in the middle cupboard with just the pedal protruding through the front of the unit. You can pick them up on eBay from time to time. Dormobile do still exist and supply certain parts, not sure on these.

I'm assuming I am missing a piece of furniture going by some pictures I have seen of dormobiles that is situated behind the passengers seat (the wardrobe). Does this have a buddy seat on the front of them in the dormobiles? And any suggestions where could I find one (wardrobe and seat)

I'm after one of these too, again the come up periodically and go for anything from £10 to £80 depending on condition. I believe they were an option, as were the buddy-seats that clip on the front of them.

Is there usually any head room storage to be found towards the rear of the bus?

Not originally as the bed was very high. I've got a rock and roll bed in mine which is now level with the top of the engine compartment father than 6" higher, so I've got a storage box from a Westfalia which is very handy.

Original cool box by what I have read is as rare as rocking horse shit. Would love one.
Apart from a 'modern' fridge conversion/install, are there any other cool box options available that others have done using the existing cool box cupboard?

I've got the original cool box and they do also come up periodically. Some people cut out one of the cupboards and fit a small fridge, but I like it original.

I have no openable quarter light in the n/s dab door is this the norm?

Depends on the bus that was used for the conversion, it's not a Dormie thing.

I'm sure there's plenty of other questions that will come to me, but I've got plenty to get on with for now. Hope some peeps can answer for me.

Fire away with the questions, there's a fair few Dormie owners on here, and get some photos up!

Chees

Your welcome :)

Thanks, I'll get some pics up shortly.

I noticed I had the cut out for the pump in the unit earlier. I'd prefer to go down the original route rather than electric. I've just found the foot pumps on the doormobile page for £57.

I've got both front wheel arches already delivered from Schofields. The better quality ones, and I must admit they do look good. May start on the n/s tomorrow. I might have a go at repairing the cab door myself. If it don't work out then I'll have to order the outer skins as suggested.

Looks like I'll be searching eBay for the missing pieces of the puzzle then. Cheers for the advice.

Was just about to point you to the Dormobile website! Yep, the foot pump is standard.

Most things crop up on here or on ebay from time to time, and the wardrobe part seems relatively easy to get hold of. That does have a buddy seat fitment to go in front of it - it is a short length of the same extrusion as the table 'rail' which supports the rear of the buddy seat.

I have planned to - though not yet done - buy one of those 12v cooler boxes to hack apart to get the workings and fit them into the cooler box compartment. The cooler box is suppposed to have a wire basket inside a bit like an office 'in' tray - these are what is impossible to find...

Funnily enough I have brought my 1968 green dormobile in today to find another 1970 green dormobile in the works car park - will attempt to find out who owns it!!

Now there is another local one, it means I may be able to get some measurements off his to fit the shelf over the kitchen cupboards which mine doesn't have - (strictly mine shouldn't as they only appeared in 1970.)

Complete interiors do crop up occasionally too - I often wonder if anyone would go in together to buy one to split as appropriate.

Whereabouts are you based?

Rich

Dickie524 said:
Was just about to point you to the Dormobile website! Yep, the foot pump is standard.

Most things crop up on here or on ebay from time to time, and the wardrobe part seems relatively easy to get hold of. That does have a buddy seat fitment to go in front of it - it is a short length of the same extrusion as the table 'rail' which supports the rear of the buddy seat.

I have planned to - though not yet done - buy one of those 12v cooler boxes to hack apart to get the workings and fit them into the cooler box compartment. The cooler box is suppposed to have a wire basket inside a bit like an office 'in' tray - these are what is impossible to find...

Funnily enough I have brought my 1968 green dormobile in today to find another 1970 green dormobile in the works car park - will attempt to find out who owns it!!

Now there is another local one, it means I may be able to get some measurements off his to fit the shelf over the kitchen cupboards which mine doesn't have - (strictly mine shouldn't as they only appeared in 1970.)

Complete interiors do crop up occasionally too - I often wonder if anyone would go in together to buy one to split as appropriate.

Whereabouts are you based?

Rich

Yeah I've seen those shelves above the sink units, guessed I was missing that also.
I'm based in Romford essex.

I just made a start today on the n/s wheel arch, cutting the old one out. Would the lip of new panel sit on top of the cab floor edge, or go under?

hi welcome to the dormi owners club :)
think you've had all your questions answered so far but I though I'd post (haven't been around for ages so you may be in luck).
I've got much of the dormi furniture that I'm looking to dispose of, haven't got round to ebay or taking photos yet but here we are:

long side cabinet inc coollbox ( no wire inside tho & I think coolbox may be cracked) does NOT include table rail as I'm using that
shelf above this unit
rear storage area (I think almost complete)
rear seat boards & kick board (but NOT the metal assembly as I've used that)
wardrobe that goes behind passenger cab
possibly have the cooker available - haven't decided whether to get rid of it yet.
I'll try ad get some photos but won't be for a couple of weeks.
cheers
Rob

Welcome and congrats on getting a Dormobile. Great choice. :D
It looks like you have got all the answers already but I do have an original foot pump that actually came out of a 1970 Dormobile if you are interested.Unfortunately Ive sold my complete spare interior.
Don't forget the photos. We love them on here 8)

our bus 68 said:
It looks like you have got all the answers already but I do have an original foot pump that actually came out of a 1970 Dormobile if you are interested.Unfortunately Ive sold my complete spare interior.

Pm'd

our bus 68 said:

Pm'd

Can anyone suggest where I could source the correct size badge for the front of bus. We're these cream or chrome. I think I need the larger size in cream?! Or is that not the case.

http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=Frontbadge68-72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that. How did yours turn out then?

Them brochure pics are handy. I thought I was missing a piece of foam to make up the bed. I thought that there was a bit missing that sits on top of the cool box unit lid!
I can't get to the inside of my bus at the moment to have a look. So does the bed/seat slide over towards the window and sit on top of cool box unit as well as table?

I filled the bus up with tools and repair panels so can't pull nothing out :D

Yes exactly that; lift up the bed unit, slide it across onto the cabinet then put the table underneath. Not exactly a rockroll bed experience but a neat solution.

I made up another 2 cushions to fill the gap where the spare wheel sits and also where you thought there should be a cushion, leaving the seat to just sit on the table. Makes a great full width bed!A few people have done this.

Latest posts