School me on dormobiles...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, there are loads of different types of roof rack, so it'd probably be a case of getting something made, rather than anyone having one on the shelf... Have you got any pics of it that might help identify it?

Dickie524 said:
Thing is, there are loads of different types of roof rack, so it'd probably be a case of getting something made, rather than anyone having one on the shelf... Have you got any pics of it that might help identify it?

Keep meaning to put some up. Ill sort some out.

image_zpsqtnetnwv.png

image_zpsmkojnmzx.png

So I've had the m plate decoded. Would I be able to obtain any other information anywhere using the registered number off the dormobile tag at the side of the dash.

Good job!

From what I understand, the company trading as Dormobile these days doesn't have any of the historical production records of old Dormobile in its heyday. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, however! So, sadly, probably not, unless you are lucky enough to tun up a previous owner - list available from the DVLA for about a tenner I think.

I keep making little discoveries all the time - most recently that the table is designed to fit in the void under the rear seat - Just slides in! Or at least, it would if someone hadn't put a load of wooden chocks in there, in my case, but I'm working on it.

Another recent discovery is that the turn clip thing behind the driver's seat is designed to hold the cooker's windshields when you're on the move too...

My third recent result is finding a guy local to me with a Dormobile with the original detachable table legs - i.e so that you can use the table outside... So I was able to measure them up and I'm having some turned up in white oak by a colleague with a lathe to original spec :party0053:

Dickie524 said:
Good job!

From what I understand, the company trading as Dormobile these days doesn't have any of the historical production records of old Dormobile in its heyday. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, however! So, sadly, probably not, unless you are lucky enough to tun up a previous owner - list available from the DVLA for about a tenner I think.

I keep making little discoveries all the time - most recently that the table is designed to fit in the void under the rear seat - Just slides in! Or at least, it would if someone hadn't put a load of wooden chocks in there, in my case, but I'm working on it.

Another recent discovery is that the turn clip thing behind the driver's seat is designed to hold the cooker's windshields when you're on the move too...

My third recent result is finding a guy local to me with a Dormobile with the original detachable table legs - i.e so that you can use the table outside... So I was able to measure them up and I'm having some turned up in white oak by a colleague with a lathe to original spec :party0053:

I had a feeling the table fitted under the seat. I have not managed to make mine slot in there as yet. Something was stopping it last time I tried. Didn't know the table could be utilised outside of the bus. Are there pole recesses on the base of the table then? Going to have to have a closer look at mine.

In the process at the moment contacting the dvla. Hopefully try and get info on the previous 14 owners.

Yeah, there *might* be a square plate on each corner with a raised, angled circular bit in the middle - into which the table leg screws (something like a 5/16" UNC screw!)

Dickie524 said:
Yeah, there *might* be a square plate on each corner with a raised, angled circular bit in the middle - into which the table leg screws (something like a 5/16" UNC screw!)

Just checked mine ain't got no fixing holes. Never mind.

So I've seen some dormobiles with what appears to be an ash tray fitted within the top of the unit to the left of the cool box. I do not have this. Was this an additional option? I'm assuming it's an ashtray anyway!

Can't have been easy fella - well done!

I am thinking of putting some USB chargers or something under the chrome roll-top ashtray in mine, so it still looks the same when its closed but is useful! So mine had the ashtray - yours probably has the kitchen shelf over the units?Eminently more useful than a chrome plated ashtray!!

I've also noticed a slight change in the wood grain used between early-early and crossover-ear Dormobile interiors too - my early one is a grey grain which is very straight - later ones seem a bit more pinkish with a more wavy woodgrain. I have an example of each - will get some shots when I get chance... Yours there seems to be the later one...

Thehighchairpoet said:
So I've seen some dormobiles with what appears to be an ash tray fitted within the top of the unit to the left of the cool box. I do not have this. Was this an additional option? I'm assuming it's an ashtray anyway!

I've got a 71 with an ashtray! First owner must have specifically requested it.
It's definitely been used in inspection, even as a smoker I wouldn't use it now though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dickie524 said:
Can't have been easy fella - well done!

I am thinking of putting some USB chargers or something under the chrome roll-top ashtray in mine, so it still looks the same when its closed but is useful! So mine had the ashtray - yours probably has the kitchen shelf over the units?Eminently more use than a chrome plated ashtray.

I've also noticed a slight change in the wood grain used between early-early and crossover-ear Dormobile interiors too - my early one is a grey grain which is very straight - later ones seem a bit more pinkish with a more wavy woodgrain. I have an example of each - will get some shots when I get chance... Yours there seems to be the later one...

Nice idea for the usbs.
Still after the shelf above sink, and wardrobe.

So what are the best manuals to get for the dormobile. As this is my first bus there is still much to know. Do the usual books cover the unique parts of these models?
Lucky I read somewhere Online about the roof warning light on the dash. This nearly got ripped out. Lol.

What's the best place to learn/look at leisure battery set ups. Have a leisure battery but not totally convinced it's been hooked up correctly. Need to get on top of this in between the bigger jobs on the list.

As promised, difference between early interior panelling material (left, 1968)and later (r) Circa 1972

image_zpslbwafpph.jpeg

After pics please. The more the better for comparison.
Currently renewing dog legs on the bus. The pic above shows the new seat belt mount section. Now does the edge that sits on top of the dog leg (the ribbed piece in pic) follow this pattern within the metal all the way from the 'b' pillar down to the cab floor?
The bus appears to have been repaired previously on both sides, so I have no original reference to go by.

Thanks

Latest posts