Scooby or Not Scooby?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F220011B-1D04-4A77-8F82-98635831D323-9464-00000AF33DCBC2AE_zpsb57d80ad.jpg

I did it and I have no regrets.

My priorities for the build were reliability and low maintenance. No carbs to adjust, no timing to adjust, no points to adjust, just smooth reliable efi power. I don't even need to adjust valves for another 100k miles, just put oil and gas in it, that's it. I only open the decklid to show off the swap. I can leave it closed and it's an aircooled-look vw haha. Except it doesn't leak oil.

I can assure you that it does not take the soul out of the vehicle. My bus still rattles, squeaks, whistles at speed, has that old VW smell, random interior parts break from time to time, steering is more of a gesture than a command, and all the kids take pictures of it when I park it at the burger stand. It's the look and feel of the bus that gives it it's soul, not the engine powering it. At least in my opinion.

I completely understand the emotional attachment to the OG aircooled engines. I used to feel that way too, until I rode in a swapped vw.

Try it... you'll like it.

I can't speak for the Scooby lump but I've gone watercooled. Probably even worse though a) it's not even boxer & b) it's Ford. However I don't regret it one bit. It's fast (not just for a 43 yr old van either), lowering and better dampers mean it handles OK and despite being standard, the brakes are more than adequate. All in all its a very fun drive.

My bus came without an engine so I fitted a 2.0 pinto on twin 40s for a bit more grunt (let's face it the roads are a totally different place to 45 years ago). It managed 100bhp at the wheels on the rollers. While I'd have loved to stay cooled to get close to that would have cost a lot of money which I don't have. I dropped lucky on ebay for a Ford adapter plate and did the rest myself. Total spend was under £500 probably less than what I could've gotten a standard lump for.

I totally get the aircooled charm but I couldn't afford to make it work for me. I understand the joy of the sense of adventure and "life in the slow lane" etc but I think I derive a similar pleasure from the development of my setup (more suitable gearing is next up). It helps though that the pinto is a fairly "period" engine with carbs and a dizzy etc so I've not sterilised it completely.

I guess I'm trying to say it's horses for courses (and vans). I'm lucky that I'm able to tinker and fabricate and do that side of things but I'm rather cash strapped. For others it's the other way around. Also my van is a crossover which was far from original and in a sorry state when I got so I can't really say I feel any guilt. I'd thunk seriously before doing it to an OG van!

As subaru is not for most ford wouldn't be for me. But 100bhp at the wheels for the price of a pair of used twin 40s has got to be the best bang per pound around.I have nothing but respect for your skill.

paul_q said:
As subaru is not for most ford wouldn't be for me. But 100bhp at the wheels for the price of a pair of used twin 40s has got to be the best bang per pound around.I have nothing but respect for your skill.

Cheers, my 40s were an extravagance at £130 but were required as the original carb wouldn't fit under the bed. Wheeled and dealed a bit with buying a whole van for the engine and selling what's left and got lucky on ebay a lot for the rest of the bits.

To do it cheaply I wouldn't particularly say it's skill, more luck, time and confidence to have a go at it yourself.

paul_q said:
Steering more of a gesture than a command :lol:

I liked this also!!

steamo said:
paul_q said:
Steering more of a gesture than a command :lol:

I liked this also!!

I lol'ed when I came up with that. I think it perfectly captures the soul of a baywindow bus. Suby engine or no, it is still just as quirky, awkward and fun to drive. Imagine never having to eff with the engine- simply hop in anytime, hit the key and go on an adventure.

That's my life. Life is good.

184FA0EB-E9F7-48D1-8955-EB0CF25247CC-4399-000005BA8BD0131D_zps8e0x6mme.jpg

I'm also leaning towards a subi drive train,not 100% yet but getting there.
My bus is at the panel shop for now so more thinking to do.
I didnt get an engine in my bus and the gearbox is of unknown condition
I have an ej22 sitting in my shed with harness and ecu that cost me $0 after selling the other parts of the car.
If i go ahead with it i'll do the subaru gearbox conversion as well and radiator under the floor
I've had 10 years of Subarus and 12 years of aircooled vw before that as well
Trying to come to terms with combining new and old :)

paul_q said:
I paid 330 for a running taxed and mot car drove it for 3 months, broke it for spares, weighed it what was left. Engine and loom virtually for free. Conversion done at home with a mate. Only loom outsourced to rjes. If I had six grand spare it would be going to a reputable engine builder.

That's great going, and I admire your skills to do that.

Looks very clean under there. :)

I'm currently going through the same quandary with what to put in my crewie. I understand the aircooled thing, been into them 20+years but the cost of a suitable for my needs aircooled engine vs an alternative is making me think about the alternative. Add to that the fact we live in the North East and most decent shows are fookin miles away down south, it looks like a good alternative for me and the family. It's great sitting at 50-55 cos it's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable but after 5 hours it becomes a bit tedious. Add to the mix 3 kids asking 'are we there yet' for hours and you can get the idea why I would prefer a slightly quicker more reliable engine. Just my tuppence worth.

I will go scooby in my next bus. No doubt. Don't get me wrong, I love my (aircooled) 2332 but the cost of building and maintaining it is pretty freaking ridiculous.

My friend Sickboy's got a scooby in his crossover and it pulls like train. :character0028:
Reason he changed the engine was for reliability on long distance driving through Europe every year. The engine build is fantastic however your gonna burn a big hole in your pocket with upgrade on breaks suspension and so on.

He misses the sound of the old engine but enjoys the scooby.

Im sticking to my classic air-cooled.

question Can you fit a 2lt golf turbo engine in instead :?:

georgie

All the information you need here. http://vwkd.com/bb/index.php?sid=8ff5d450d9bd6d389651431d7ad2f540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts