Sealing front windscreen

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My front windscreen leaks a bit, it's better than it was as I put loads of silicon sealant rounds it.

I'm going to see a guy tomorrow to have a look at it, I suspect I may need a lower bulge welding in as there's a bit of rust bubbling through.

Anyone know roughly what this will cost, does it normally require the dash removing?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

I suppose cost depends on how much needs doing, I would have thought the top metal part of the dash would need to be removed.
There’s a windscreen sealant product by 3M which is better than silicone sealant.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/v000117804/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Silicone sealant should really be avoided for any future ‘quick fixes’ where metalwork is involved. From memory, it is pretty acidic (acetic or ethanoic?) so if there’s any hint of broken paint leading to bare metal or rust, it will just eat it’s way through until it is done reacting. Hopefully a bulge repair will sort you out as I’m sure there’ll be worse lurking underneath the seal than what is currently visible!

Silicone sealant doesn't adhere to any rust/loose paint so you won't find any benefit.
I used butyl windscreen sealant and Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure for any minor leaks.

To replace the bulge panel and lower windscreen panel the dash will need to come out.

Hi had the same trouble with my bus mate bubbling beneath the window screen didn’t think it was too bad until it was stripped back to bare metal turned out to be holes all along the bottom had to have it all cut out and a new piece fitted and sprayed cost 600 all in seems a lot but was a top job and I took out the top of the dash only (metal part) and resprayed myself whilst it was in the garage top pic is the finished job

Latest posts