Search for the perfect aftermarket exhaust.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leslie

Reaction score
Hello again Early Bay'ers,

Given that it's payday soon and Dubfreeze soon after, I looking to fit an aftermarket/performace exhaust to my slammed 69 RHD Westy.

Despite only running a stock 1600cc, my first choice at the moment is a CSP Python (http://www.csp-shop.de/products/22309a.html).

However, I do still want to maintain all the benefits associated with heat exchangers (mainly a heated cab), not least because I've just had the heating/cooling system, plus extras, reconditioned just before Christmas.

Therefore, I would like to ask if this can be achieved with my first choice exhaust? Or is there a prefered alternative? Although, perhaps it's best if I explain why I was drawn to the CSP Python in the first place.

* Firstly, the fact that my Bus is slammed means that ground clearance is a factor.

* Secondly, even if ground clearance was not an issue I still very much appreciate the subtle, 'tucked-up' look of the Python. The opposite I guess to the display of protruding twisted stainless hanging out the back of one's Bus.

* Finally, the Python gives a stock 1600cc a has a nice rumbling undertone. Although, I have not experienced this first-hand and would therefore welcome feedback on this comment.

So in summary I would like to fit an aftermarket exhaust system that provides heat to the cab whilst also maintaining 'most' of the original look of the vehicle, but not necessaryly the sound!

Also I would more then appreciate some pictures of exhausts you good people have fitted to your fine vehicles, which would help me greatly in my quest for the prefect exhaust.

Warm regards,
Leslie

That looks really good, I say go for it, should give you plenty of flow and good clearance.

Gareth

Do you know if it can be fitted with heat exchangers, or if not do you know of a similar alternative which can?

From the page you gave the link to:

'Here are the features at a glance:

Exhaust manifold made of stainless steel 1.4512
Silencer made of polished stainless steel 1.4301
For use with heat exchangers
Can be supplied in 38mm, 42mm, 45mm, and 48 mm diameters
various cone diameter inserts
Equal pipe lengths
Painstakingly manufactured collector
Solid laser-cut flanges'

Gareth

@ Gareth

I did see that but I read something on the http://www.thesamba.com/vw/ that suggested expensive custom heat exchangers were required...

Plus that link was for a Bug/Karmann, so I'm still unsure if the same is true for early bays?

The python was featured and reveiwed in a recent issue of Volksworld and fitted to Matt Keane (of Airkraft)'s Early Bay Westy. The reveiws showed the hp increase available and gave it a big thumbs up overall. It was featured maybe 6 months ago, I guess? I 'think' it does require their specific heat exchangers ... but that is a guess.
It was expensive back then, and I doubt the crashing pound will have done uk buyers any favours, so sit down when buying it!

Can you find the link on TheSamba about it?

Just looked at Machine 7 who do this system and they list a heat exchanger for this system, and its bloody expensive! The smallest they do is 38mm, so how does that compare to a stock heat exchanger?

Gareth

Clem said:
The python was featured and reveiwed in a recent issue of Volksworld and fitted to Matt Keane (of Airkraft)'s Early Bay Westy. The reveiws showed the hp increase available and gave it a big thumbs up overall. It was featured maybe 6 months ago, I guess? I 'think' it does require their specific heat exchangers ... but that is a guess.
It was expensive back then, and I doubt the crashing pound will have done uk buyers any favours, so sit down when buying it!

Its his ladies, Kats van :wink: she is one lucky lady 8)

leslie said:
Indeed they do look like custom/expensive heat exchanges (http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Search=C31-257-100&Search1=Search). So does anyone know if stock heat exchanges are compatible or how the CSP ones differ from stock?

I think the CSP heat exchangers are bigger bore, but they're quite expensive......... :shock:

http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/shop2/shop_main.cgi?func=det2&wkid=63005723820&rub1=Exhaust+/+Heating&rub2=Exhaust+System-Modified,Miscellaneous&artnr=22333a&pn=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its to do with the pipe diameter, so the standard exchanger will be a loose fit, but thats not to say you cant adapt to make it fit. What you need to do is find out the diameter of your current exchangers and see what the difference is between them and the smallest pipe they do of 38mm, I dont think the difference is massive so a little bit of fettling will get it to fit.

Gareth

leslie

try turbo thomas (bromsgrove?? north of here anyway) should be able to make you something cheaper and be able to keep you heat exchangers as well.
Good luck which ever way you go

I went thro' much the same thought process last autumn
The CSP python looks really nice but as you're finding out, if you want heat, you may have to get their special heat exchangers and once you add at all up, there's not alot of change out of a grand from memory, so one for when you win the lottery.............
For half that you can get a similar setup from Rich at Turbo Thomas and you can keep your original HEs, and that's what I've got on order now
good luck whatever you do
:)

@ ianscooby and wannabay,

Thanks for the heads up on Turbo Thomas, much appreciated. There is something nice about bespoke parts for a vdub, especially where engines are concerned and when you've had the pleasure of meeting person who made it.

So I guess the next thing for me to do is to leave this topic open for people to post examples of exhaust systems they've had fitted to their early bays. No doubt that will help me choose between the may different styles of exhaust.

I fitted a Bluebird Customs stainless quietpack to mine. Reasonable cost, nice quality, good fit and easily available off the shelf.
Had one on my last van and it was a fit and forget item - bar the polishing, of course.

100_2722.jpg

have you had a look at these :wink:
http://www.vwspeedshop.com/shop/product.php?productid=16719&cat=476&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ended up fitting a stock exhaust back on my van. It doesn't go much different from the twin quiet pack that was on there before. The heating is quite good though :D

You don't have to take your exhaust off to set the valves either.

£70 for box & pipe. I guess you could get someone to make a custom tail pipe, then you get the best of both.

There is a guy on VZi who's, making some Stainless steel original style exhausts but with a slightly larger bore. Gives a better sound apparently, fits well, lasts and cost around £140 IIRC

cyberdyne systems said:
Its to do with the pipe diameter, so the standard exchanger will be a loose fit, but thats not to say you cant adapt to make it fit. What you need to do is find out the diameter of your current exchangers and see what the difference is between them and the smallest pipe they do of 38mm, I dont think the difference is massive so a little bit of fettling will get it to fit.

Gareth

Hi,

I realise that this is an old thread but... Has anyone fitted a python to their existing heat exchangers?

Cheers,

Steve

Latest posts