Seat springs for repair...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I have a week off work I thought I'd try and repair my passenger seat. There's nothing obviously missing, I don't think, but there are snapped spring at the front. It's the zig-zag springs that have a bend in them.

Does anyone know where I could get some more? I found the straight ones and the coils on eBay, but not the bent ones, I guess they may be specific to these seats?
3ae22bf9ac81385c6d6fba0865d850a8.jpg
88a78bbe67f395770444db5a0b7948d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Yeah... "they don't make 'em like that any more!"

You can't weld it (because heat will cause the spring-y-ness property and I suspect the chair is quite flammable, too!).
How about gluing a sleeve in place?
Or eve just jubilee clipping it further back before the break and then tidy up those ends?

Sorry, not really an answer, more just the musings of someone going slightly mad :msn4:

Well I did weld mine and they seem fine spring wise, obviously with the seat stripped of flammables :shock:

I did mine not so long back and I did indeed use electrical connectors but quite large ones, so basically the metal barrel that’s inside and that seems to have worked thus far. What I also did was to tie the springs together with additional spring cleats but as i didn’t have any of these, I used cable ties and wrapped them around twice and didn’t pull them tight, more just took the slack out of them. I did that at every available node and juncture that I could get too. I also put a piece of foam about15 or 20mm between the coir and the springs and a piece of breathable builders membrane between the springs and the foam to protect the foam from the spring abrasion. You might notice that the springs cleats / joiners are in fact there with no tension until someone puts their backside on there. These cleats may actually take a little of the strain off the broken bit by spreading the load. The difference is quite remarkable.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,good luck and post up your results. :mrgreen:

Thanks Oz, I am currently putting hog rings in and managed to get one electrical connector to stay on. I did reupholster them about a year ago and put some coconut matting stuff in on top of some special fabric stuff that was recommended. So far it's better than it was.
0c45371c17cfdac8cacae847f75f641f.jpg

Funny you should say that, but that one went twang as soon as I sat on it! I've since put hog rings in and bound the long zigzag springs together with electrical wire.
Feels nice and comfortable now :)

Two pennies ..............

Cut out the electrical connector from it's plastic cover. Install metal onto springs, cover in flux and solder.
Have heard it works a treat. Good luck.

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
Two pennies ..............

Cut out the electrical connector from it's plastic cover. Install metal onto springs, cover in flux and solder.
Have heard it works a treat. Good luck.

J & P
:D :D :D
Now that sounds like it’s worth a shot, screws and solder has got to be bettererer :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,tighterfit :mrgreen:

Cheers, that sounds like a much more permanent solution. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but I guess we're talking blow torch here? I've got one somewhere.

subheatadey said:
Use some copper sheet, some old water pipe flattened out would do, a soldering iron may do the job or one of those mini blow torch thingys.

As soon as you said that , it gave me a thought. Clean out a piece of copper microbore and whip a little flux up through it too. Clean up the ends of the broken spring and tin, then pinch the micro bore with either a vice or some mole grips then add a little warmth then end feed some solder, I don’t have my mahoosive soldering iron any more but I reckon you could warm it up with a gas torch and use a little something to shield the stuff that would love to go burn burn burn. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,good darts Ade (I still got your mug bud) :mrgreen:

Latest posts