seatbelts, rewebb original dormy belts or buy new inertia?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonbus

Reaction score
what do you reckon , foolish to conside rewebbing, rewebb original dormy seatbelts or should i buy new inertia?

Depends on whether you want a museum piece or practicality.

I changed over to inertia reel back in the 70's when they were sold as an aftermarket fitment by VW themselves, under the Votex brand label.

The original statics prevented me from reaching the glovebox and when correctly adjusted even the handbrake was a bit difficult. In addition statics needed to be adjusted each time there was a driver change unless they were very similar dimensions.

Nobody can make the choice for you - your decision :)

Lets face it, if you hit something it doesn't matter what type of seatbelt it is you are wearing, you are gonna be in some trouble. Personally I'm ordering inertia belts, they will give me some more movement and comfort. Will they save me in an accident, probably not but that's the chance we take everyday, not only in our buses but in your daily driver.

Des

moonbus said:
..im not hearing you saying statics are worse safety wise?

No I dont think statics are worse safety wise in an accident - as long as the wearer has them correctly adjusted they should perform the same as inertia belts. The problems occur when statics are used but adjusted too slack (often for reasons of mobility or comfort). :)

just changed from statics to inertia (securon 500/45) in mine - wouldn't go back.

problems with statics: get in the way when not being used, get shut in doors, when wearing you can't reach anything, you slacken the belt = dangerous, you slip your arm out to reach stuff = dangerous.

personal choice but inertia are much more convenient and because they're convenient they're safer.

Latest posts