Securing Valuables inside the Bus whilst abroad or at a show

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuF

Reaction score
Evening all,

With our next trip to Europe approaching I have a quandry with securing all our nice gear inside the bus when leave it parked up.
Dont really have any issue with the bus itself being stolen - we use pedal lock, locking gear shifter, wheel clamp that sort of thing.

My issue is with securing our iPads, Passports, iPhones, Speakers and so on away whilst we are checking out a museum, dance tent etc.
I have considered a strongbox but not sure how to secure it to the bus and what other options there are - I know our old buses are very easy to get into so want to try and have somewhere to stash the expensive stuff.

Anyone have any ideas/solutions or stuff that has worked for them?

Cheers in advance!

Could you fasten something under the passenger seat ?

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

The more I am looking online I think I am going to go for the following,

An aluminum foam lined breifcase that can be secured to an immovable part of the bus - I was thinking steering column??
Can easily get the ipad, camera, passports and so on in one of those!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-storage-Cassets-laptops-PRM10101S/dp/B000N4K27E/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_1_7JXF?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W4Q77CJEM3DAPYBF56H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some thick plastic covered steel rope to attach the briefcase to the column - will wrap it around and through the briefcase, will probably secure to the pedal lock too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-8-inch-12ft-without-Hooks/dp/B004V346NE/ref=sr_1_10?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1404409406&sr=1-10&keywords=plastic+coated+steel+wire+cable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a couple of those alarmed padlocks that have 110db screams

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-container-garage-Padlock-technology/dp/B00GZZV3GE/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1404409516&sr=1-5&keywords=alarmed+padlock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Atleast if someone starts rifling through the bus the noisy padlocks should scare them off! Works a treat on my shed at home!

What do you peeps think? Might work ok!

That should give us piece of mind whilst we are out and about - also be portable enough for us to actually use! And invisible when the the hammock is inplace.

I guess just keeping stuff out of site is the best solution in any vehicle

If I was seriously going to try and make a safe box no one could find in my van I think I would either make some lockable cover for the spare wheel well

or you could fabricate a steel box under the floor and make a secret hatch in the cargo floor under the mat to access it. Don't laugh just an idea :D

I have a lokbox in my works van for my analyser and was thinking of something similar for my bus 8)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOKBOX-Mobile-Locker-Personal-Safe-Student-Camping-Festival-Car-Home-/190738164564?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item2c68e16b54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That lockbox look awesome - could secure it to the bus easily
Happy days 8) Cheers Martin :D

i think you're all stark raving bonkers to even consider the idea of leaving your passport in the bus when in a foreign country.

i 've only had mine nicked once and that was enough to convince me that all documents come with me at all times.

oorwullie said:
i think you're all stark raving bonkers to even consider the idea of leaving your passport in the bus when in a foreign country.

i 've only had mine nicked once and that was enough to convince me that all documents come with me at all times.

So what exactly do you do when you go swimming? Or something else?

Marriedblonde said:
oorwullie said:

So what exactly do you do when you go swimming? Or something else?

Zip lock bag straight up the clacker. Storage issues sorted

Have a false portaloo, none will look in there :D

I have a top quality cash box screwed to the floor of the westy bed (8 times No.10 screws) which holds passports, wallet, cash etc and obviously is well out of sight and not easy to get at. Both me and my lad have a key, but he is a teenager so God only knows where he has left it..........

monkiboy said:
I would suggest the First thing you do is NOT discus on an Open forum....
"Where do I hide my stuff" :? :)

I am not saying I have one of these ;) but a guy at Busfest sells a secure open ended box, roughly 6" x 9", that screws securely to the body of the bus, and into which slides a covered drawer, which locks in place. Picture a very large metal matchbox with one end of the sleeve closed in, and you get the picture.

It is small enough to be well hidden, can't easily be wrenched away from the bus, and is bloody strong. £15 or thereabouts, if memory serves me right.

Not that I have one, you understand. :roll:

KevH said:
monkiboy said:
I would suggest the First thing you do is NOT discus on an Open forum....
"Where do I hide my stuff" :? :)

I am not saying I have one of these ;) but a guy at Busfest sells a secure open ended box, roughly 6" x 9", that screws securely to the body of the bus, and into which slides a covered drawer, which locks in place. Picture a very large metal matchbox with one end of the sleeve closed in, and you get the picture.

It is small enough to be well hidden, can't easily be wrenched away from the bus, and is bloody strong. £15 or thereabouts, if memory serves me right.

Not that I have one, you understand. :roll:

I've just bought one, just got to figure best place to fit, crusader travel safe v719, got mine from local caravan camping place but fleabay sell then, ( no surprise )

what if somebody steals ya bus then ya fucked.

i find making it look complete bollocks does the trick.

..........man that guy aint got fuck all worth stealing.

jth

john the horse said:
i find making it look complete bollocks does the trick.

..........man that guy aint got fuck all worth stealing.
I think I'm in the same camp :lol:

If you're really paranoid why not shove your passport behind one of the door cards?
Inside the seat backs?
If you're a pop-top then in the roof?
If you've got a locking engine lid, try there?
There's loads of hidey spots in these things!

Latest posts