Sellotape strips Factory Paint from new Exhaust!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gütterßnipe

Reaction score
If I want to paint a new exhaust prior to fitting with High Temp Paint what's the best way to strip the factory crap from the header and muffler???

Nitromors???.......Sandpaper???.......Heatgun???

I'm guessing the new paint will need a good base to stick to the system so would sandpaper be my best option????

Spence

I used Nitromors on my single quiet pack and it worked a treat. It took it back to bare metal and the high temp paint I then applied is still looking good 6 months later. Didn't take too long either.

kingmonkey said:
I used Nitromors on my single quiet pack and it worked a treat. It took it back to bare metal and the high temp paint I then applied is still looking good 6 months later. Didn't take too long either.

Cool, did you sand it as well to ensure good paint adhesion?

jonboylaw said:
Nitromors will only work of it is old stock. The current stuff you can buy is crap as all the good active ingredients are now banned...

Is that right? If so, how crap!

What about a Heatgun, I've got one that works great on removing paint from
Woodwork, don't know how it will deal with an exhaust header/backbox?

21CD60C8-C9C5-451F-9424-A7902C35E310-1927-0000024CC955722A.jpg

Ok - Sellotape gets it off the back box just fine,
I'll be using nitromors I think on the pipe work as its a bit thicker!

Spence

SpenceBoosDad said:
jonboylaw said:
Nitromors will only work of it is old stock. The current stuff you can buy is crap as all the good active ingredients are now banned...

Is that right? If so, how crap!

What about a Heatgun, I've got one that works great on removing paint from
Woodwork, don't know how it will deal with an exhaust header/backbox?

Judging by the cellotape reomoval system, you might be able to blow it off.... that is some seriously duff paint.

Old stock Nitromores contains dichloromethane, which is now banned for sale. If you can find an old family run hardware store you might be able to buy some, I bought the whole stock from my local last year. Make sure is has dichloromethane in it.

The replacement is much milder so will take a lot longer to work and may not work at all on tougher paint layers (eg, power coating).

Good luck.

Cheers Jon,

Found some old skool Nitromors in my loft!

All sorted :lol:

Didn't realise the box was aluminium?

I'll be painting it tomorrow!!

Spence
3AB082CA-1BE5-4FD3-9606-BC5C66585F96-2428-000003291F4835FA.jpg

Marvel said:
Wow, not seen a radiator like that since I was at school. Clean box by the way :msn4:

Cheers - I fitted the whole house out with them a couple of years back - once the heating goes off they stay hot forever!

Latest posts