Servo... connector

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanya

Reaction score
Hay! Percy has finally come home after welding and having the engine fitted and we have been told he has a servo we have no idea if it works tho but how do i connect it i was briefly told i need to get a connector and put it into the engine manifold but does anyone know where to get the connector from or what it is called so i can buy one? where to buy one from? percy is a 71 bay with a beetle engine.

You need a connection off the inlet manifold, possibly already has one on it if you are running single carb,then proper vacuum hose and non return valve then through bulkhead onto pipe through chassis rails to servo

Percy i think is a twin port and has only one carb and there is nothing on tthe manifold to connect the pipe to it's all their from the server to the engine just nothing to connect it to and where it is supposed to connect to is blank do i need to get a different manifold or do i get something that drills into this one?

As its a twinport look at the nearside inlet manifold you will see there is a flange that can be drilled & tapped for your servo...
july08008.jpg

71 buses with servo had a year specific inlet manifold with a larger vacuum connector - I know this as I had a 71 with the smaller take off :(

It's a right angled pipe on the manifold below carb - you also need a one way valve (Jk sell these) long shot but pm mattd on the forum as we took a 71 manifold of his bus a couple of months ago when converting to twin carbs and he might still have it

you can buy genuine servo hose for £30 a meter or use garden hose like i did. i did use genuine hose for the hot engine bay end but all the underneath hose i used correct diameter reinforced garden hose. that saved me about £90. at the end of the day its only got air going thru it. mine works fine and sorted the vacuum leak from my old hoses. dont forget your non return valve tho.

Hmm - interesting - the garden hose works ok? As you say, it's only air, but it's a lack of it (ie partial vacuum). Most hoses are designed to withstand positive pressure - I found that, for example, automotive water hose just collapsed after a while. I now have some reinforced hydraulic hose which seems to work fine. Just a thought...

I use re-inforced Hydraulic hose too. Chip as chips, I went front to back for a tenner.

Garden hose is nowhere near strong enough IMHO.

i cant seem to find inlet manifolds with the vacuum pipe fitted JK and VW heritage dont seem to have them listed unless they are special order items.
You're right about the garden hose collapsing under vacuum. The stuff i used is so thick and hard its nearly like plastic. i had to use a hot cup of water to dip the hose end into to soften it enough to connect it to the fittings. i should think if u use very cheap soft garden hose this will be a problem but the reinforced stuff i got seems fine so far.

Latest posts