servo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisby

Reaction score
I need to replace my servo on my 71 LHD Westy , does anyone know if they are common to any other VW ie Golf etc or is their anyone that does recons . Also anyone know the part number .
Sorry for all the questions , but they seem to be very expensive .
Cheers Chris

Heritage do one a genuine VW Brazil one for £89.95, it does require the mounting plate on the beam modifying as the bolt spacings differ to the original German ones. If your interested the part number is 211-612-103/G. Within reason I suppose any servo would fit but again it would probably require modification of the mounting plate on the beam.

Heritage on line Cat. price is £199.99 ,or I am looking in the wrong place.
By the way looks like a wet weekend :( and thanks fo the quick reply.
chris

chrisby said:
Heritage on line Cat. price is £199.99 ,or I am looking in the wrong place.
By the way looks like a wet weekend :( and thanks fo the quick reply.
chris

It isn't in the main catalogue, that was from the mini catalogue they sent out not so long ago, they say in there the German one is £200 nicker. Give 'em a ring and quote that part number.

Thats great , will get onto that ,the mods to mount the new Servo are they reasonably easy , just basic tools etc ?
Chris

Never actually done it, but I'm guessing that it'll require the old plate removing from the beam and a new one being welded in. I'm also guessing that servo assisted brakes are an aftermarket addition to your bus, as I don't think they were fitted as eary as '71. Someone else may be able to clarify this point?

What is actually wrong with the servo? I believe they can be reconditioned.

The disc brakes and servo I believe are original factory fitted. As far as I can find out they were introduced earlier in the States .Also Ive found out that the calipers are supposed to be pretty rare , only 2 years production .
The problem with mine is that its got an air leak that is affecting the tickover as pointed out to me by Nigel at Roche who did the tuning on it for me . Chris

My Cal import 71 westy had a similar sounding problem. When i broke with the clutch down the engine used to rev up to about 2000rpm. The brakes were absolutely shocking too. Turned out the servo was full of brake fluid (2 pints of it!!!) The inline non return valve was also fitted back to front. Wayne @ Volksheaven sorted me out an original like for like used replacement servo for £90 plus postage and packing and it was with me in two days. Had to have a new master cylinder too. Work pretty well now apart from a pull to the right every now and then

Ive got non servo'ed brakes and Csp frt and stock rear and the brakes are sh#t hot :wink:

TBH ChrisB i would recommend getting rid of the servo as you dont need it .The european 71s never had them :D RE your calipers your in the poo as you cant buy 71-72 calipers they ran for 16 months of production and were obsolete soon after .

Now what most folk do to overcome this is ....

a) Buy a caliper rebuild kit from just Kampers/Vw Hertage and have a go yourself But I wouldnt recommend it

b) Buy 2nd hand front stub axles from a 73 onwards bay and fit later calipers which are still avalible . Which is probably easier :wink:

Gadget

Gadget Boy said:
Ive got non servo'ed brakes and Csp frt and stock rear and the brakes are sh#t hot :wink:

TBH ChrisB i would recommend getting rid of the servo as you dont need it .The european 71s never had them :D RE your calipers your in the poo as you cant buy 71-72 calipers they ran for 16 months of production and were obsolete soon after .

Now what most folk do to overcome this is ....

a) Buy a caliper rebuild kit from just Kampers/Vw Hertage and have a go yourself But I wouldnt recommend it

b) Buy 2nd hand front stub axles from a 73 onwards bay and fit later calipers which are still avalible . Which is probably easier :wink:

Gadget

c) Fit Porsche 944 rotors and calipers!

;)

JK now do conversion brackets to bolt on the late calipers to early caliper spindles. A servo in good working order makes a vast difference to stock discs.

68only said:
JK now do conversion brackets to bolt on the late calipers to early caliper spindles. A servo in good working order makes a vast difference to stock discs.

I would agree with that, if you have servo assisted brakes stick with 'em. Also your insurance company wouldn't be happy if you removed it.

I replaced my 71 servo with a mk2 scirocco one. Works perfectly, but you have to do a bit of work to get the actuator rod to fit. You will need the old threaded pieceon your current servo rod, then you need to fix it to the scirroco one, i.e weld it, although mine is threaeded in as well.

Cost me about 20 quid all in.

Regards martyn

Latest posts