Severe tyre wear issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfdubbing

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westy
Hi Guys
I'm currently having big issues with tyre wear on the front of my bus since lowering.
I'm running:
-Standard beam with adjusters
-T'haus Dropped spindles
-Gaz coilovers
-165/55/15 tyres

It appears to be a camber issue as the inside edge is wearing down to the metal in very few miles. Before my trip to Spa I fitted new tyres, set the tracking to 0 and camber nut as far as I could without clashing with the disk. 300 miles there, a few laps of track, the 300 back and my tyres are completely shot again.
Has anybody else with this set up experienced any similar problems?

Thanks

Camber is only part of the equation, you need to check (or have someone check) that the toe in (or out) is correct, this can also severely wear the inner edge, ask me how I know :)

Mr Brightside said:
Camber is only part of the equation, you need to check (or have someone check) that the toe in (or out) is correct, this can also severely wear the inner edge, ask me how I know :)
just re-read your post, sound s like you already checked that................

Track rod ends are on backwards. Massive wear on inner edges, maybe last three to five hundred miles, a little vague on speed bumps and heavy braking. Throws all the steering geometry out as soon as you go over a bump, or load the van, or turn the wheel.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Easy fix though :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Track rod ends are on backwards. Massive wear on inner edges, maybe last three to five hundred miles, a little vague on speed bumps and heavy braking. Throws all the steering geometry out as soon as you go over a bump, or load the van, or turn the wheel.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Easy fix though :mrgreen:

How do you mean the track rod ends are on backwards? I can't picture how they could be put on backwards... :)

Thanks for the feedback chaps.
I've taken a look under the bus and yes I've got the track rod ends on the spindles going down instead of up. What an oversight that was, and an expensive one at that! time to get them switched.
Suppose I'd better apologise to the bus for the amount of verbal abuse I've been throwing at it.....
Cheers

And the tracking should be between 5 and 15 minutes inwards, not at zero, it all makes a difference. :)

sparkywig said:
Ozziedog means upside down, you need to fit the track rod ends the opposite way into the spindles.
This sorted his tyre wear.

Aren't they tapered, so they'll only fit one way up? :)

If it's set to "0" it will have toe-in when siting on its wheels.
Make sure you use the correct measurement (van on or off the ground)

Although they are tapered they will still go in both ways on the T Haus spindles, I know coz I done exactly this :oops: And 5 to 15 minutes toe in sounds about right and the camber is set at max with these spindles.
So swap your ends around, check your camber is set at max and I think that`s marks to the inside so facing each other, also helps if you tippex them. And somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes will sort your tracking.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

I don`t think this was done on purpose, I think they were fitted wrongly as an oversight and why there was a problem with tyre wear etc. A good job he checked on here for what the problem was.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, None of us perfect :mrgreen:

monkiboy said:
Also where does that tracking setting come from?? Mine is set to 0 and it drives Lovely, Even tire wear etc....
(in fact VERY little wear in 20,000+ miles!!!)

Haynes Manual 8)

Not strictly true, you don't set race car tracking with it on the floor, so it is possible you just need the correct measurements which from memory are in the Bentley Manuel.

So I flipped the track rod ends and set up the tracking and camber again. Just back from a trip over to v-dub island (great show by the way) and am happy to report no obvious tyre wear!
Thanks for your help guys

Latest posts