shabby - might be getting a new name

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart sank when I saw this, didnt see it when viewing as the rack top covered it :(

Sat and had a thought of selling it, had a cup of tea, got a long lump of wood 3 x 2 inside roof panels as westy has the steel work for sunroof fitted. Pair of large pipe wrenches and twisted the crap out of it. Most of the dent came out, still a bit more to get though but feel better :party0006:

Guessing the poptop canvas is gonna have to go lol !

Is there any interesting history u can salvage to put back in when finished ?
Number plate / hippy painting ???

I recon your gonna progress with your bus real quickly ;)

No details mate, paper work to follow. Not sure it will tell me anything though.

Did the driver not give you the paperwork I sent Bob?, last owners details are on the US title document.

Just tried to get hold of him as he said he had given it to you, white A4 envelope with your name on it??

Before I dropped the engine out found a problem with the closing panel tin. :(

Engine now out, no end to my problems. I started to get a sinking feeling, my luck is running out :roll:

Looks like I got a new`ish clutch but the old one put a couple of holes in the gearbox clutch housing. I hope I can just change the housing and not have to drop the gearbox.

Cutting out my battery trays, now knocking dents out before new trays go in. Could take longer than planned :lol:

1st tray out

was able to straighten the rear of a few dents

Other side might take longer

Spending alot of time on this engine bay seal slot which had been abused :(

The fuel tank didn't have any vent tubes so its a good job I never put fuel in it. Battery trays seem to fit right on wheel arch on one side and on the other side the lower part of the wheel arch. Didn't want to disturb this bit because its on outer wheel arch and its good. Not sure what Im going to do yet. I haven't got a spot welder only a mig.
Nice chap Happystamps sent me some pasenger seat brackets, no charge, well made up thats nearly another problem solved :D

It's not getting any better in here yet [FLUSHED FACE]

e2y3areb.jpg

The battery tray hole is getting bigger !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practiced at panel beating with lumps of shaped mahogany wood, some improvement. Will sand it down to find the high spots and do some more.

Cleaned the inside before welding, every time I put my head in there I came out looking like a coal miner :)

I might even give it a lick of paint after I've welded loads of holes up, not rust but drilled holes.

Looked at my tinware, seems complicated as I have only really had beach buggys, uva fugitive. no need for much tin on those. I've got most of the bottom tin missing and no stat flaps :(
Spent most of today trying to streighten out the rear and closing panel tins. Most of the fixing points were bust, the closing panel looked as if it had been trapped between the engine and gearbox case. :?

Big gaps here !!

Slight re shape of tin and welded a guide tag to hold it at the back of the case tight. Also welded a filler bit to close another gap up. Welded more securing points back on slightly larger so they shouldn't bust again. Welded up where the carb wire had been cutting through panel.

Felt like a long day with not much to show for it. :roll: I've still to extend the closing panel too.

Ill be glad to get out of this engine bay :( Made a tool to straighten the seal slot, lots of toffee hammer work and bending.

Got 1 battery tray in with closing panel, along with 3 dirty great holes welded up that had checker plate bolted to it. Wish i hadn't disturbed the old one. It was peppered with spot welds down the wheel arch side.

Welded 17 drilled holes ranging from 3 to 15mm above the engine bay, what is it with power tools and people :roll:

This was a pig due to the shapes of the deck, but no filler needed here :)

I am going for a lay down in a dark room now :!:

Looking really good Bob, trust me you are making progress :mrgreen:

You should patent that tool for sorting out the engine bay seal and sell them to fellow members (just remembered someone tried to do that recently :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Cheers Graham, you wouldn't believe how dented and twisted it was. Where the paints missing it was bent down, maybe they dropped a motor on it. The hammer is my favourite tool at the moment :lol:

Latest posts